Hard Top Restore - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard Top Restore

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
jason8425
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hard Top Restore

Started the sanding of my hard top today. Has anyone had any experience in using some type of rattle can spray on bedliner for this? Any recommendations to what kind is best? Is it difficult to spray on and look decent? By the way it is an aftermarket top and will be starting from fresh fiberglass when i finally finish sanding. Thanks!

jason8425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Gorilla_97
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason8425 View Post
Started the sanding of my hard top today. Has anyone had any experience in using some type of rattle can spray on bedliner for this? Any recommendations to what kind is best? Is it difficult to spray on and look decent? By the way it is an aftermarket top and will be starting from fresh fiberglass when i finally finish sanding. Thanks!
I would personally use the bedliner rattle can. The texture will hide alot of imperfections and can be easily be touched up from time to time. If I can ever find a YJ hardtop in Texas I will do this to mine!
Gorilla_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Dupicolor spray on bedliner worked fine on mine came out pretty damn good. just as long as you keep the same distance from the hardtop everywhere you spray you shouldn't have any troubles. if you put on two coats it looks great and drys pretty damn hard and doesn't get scratched up easily at all.
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
ruffneck460
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rustoleum spray on bedliner works very well and has a nice texture as well.
ruffneck460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did mine this summer. Rattle can flat black with a satin clear coat.

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
yjmudder90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmymanYJ View Post
Dupicolor spray on bedliner worked fine on mine came out pretty damn good. just as long as you keep the same distance from the hardtop everywhere you spray you shouldn't have any troubles. if you put on two coats it looks great and drys pretty damn hard and doesn't get scratched up easily at all.
x2 i did my entire jeep (minus hardtop) with this stuff and i love it!

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
yjmudder90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
youngYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i used the rustoleum that had a texture to it so it was gritty. came out wonderful! used four cans, a can of primer and then a clear coat. it was the dark spice color. i highly recommend the rustoleum. its cheap too by the way
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
jason8425
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! Think I will give it a try.
jason8425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.