Hard Top Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard Top Removal

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
mudbug99
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hard Top Removal

Good morning everyone. Just recently purchased my first Jeep, a 1992 YJ. It currently has a hard top that I'm trying to remove. Purchased a torx T40 wrench but was unsuccesful in unscrewing it, possibly due to rust or maybe me being too weak.. highly doubt that though. What suggestions do you guys have out there for removing this top? Thanks

mudbug99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

... turn harder? If you are referring to the bolts that hold it to the tub just lean into it a bit. I cant imagine rust holding them on. There should be inserts on the bottom side... make sure they are not spinning although they shouldnt due to their shape.

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Big4mike9
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where are there torx screws for the top??
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
SPCMilligan87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It can be a pain in the @$$ if it has never been removed. I used to have a 2002 wrangler sahara with a hard top.
After stripping out 4 of the 6 torx bolts I took a grinder and carefully made a flat spot on each side of the bolts so I could get them with a 1/2" open end wrench. I got online ordered new bolts, put alittle bit of grease on them and never had a problem after that. Now I have a 87 yj with a softtop, so much easier to deal with.
SPCMilligan87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
mudbug99
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The 4 torx screws are in the rear of the jeep holding down the hard top, 2 on each side.
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mine aren't torx bolts, mine are just bolts. I've never had this problem with my 87'. the top always seem to come off quite easily with the help of someone to lift it up
YJ Build : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-87-yj-build-thread-1072026/
Hbeaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Big4mike9
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm mine are big Phillips screws and I have 4 on each side and no problems. But I just bought some thumb bolts. So no tools needed.
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
mudbug99
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You guys are lucky by just having philips screws. Two of the 6 were philips and came off nice and easy. These torx are just beyond difficult and the weather in Houston is perfect for the top off.
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
mudbug99
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do any of you have any recommendations of maybe taking it somewhere to have it removed?
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you didn't strip them out then just keep trying. Spray some pb or wd or something overnight. try a longer ratchet or maybe a small pipe for an extension.
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug99 View Post
The 4 torx screws are in the rear of the jeep holding down the hard top, 2 on each side.
weird there should be 4 each side...... LOL...... not just 4

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
SPCMilligan87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug99 View Post
You guys are lucky by just having philips screws. Two of the 6 were philips and came off nice and easy. These torx are just beyond difficult and the weather in Houston is perfect for the top off.
I will be in Houston the whole month of April with my jeep so i hope the weather stays good. Too bad spring creek offroad park isnt open anymore. .Are the screws stripped or are they just not turning? If there not stripped you gotta put some more muscle into it. Just dont break your side glass on the top.
SPCMilligan87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.