Hard Top Help!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard Top Help!?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
D-Rock86
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hard Top Help!?

I just bought a hard top and hard uppers yesterday for $300... this is my first jeep and I thought it was a pretty good deal? I never put one on before and realized that there is no way to attach it to the windshield frame! It looks like there used to be a plastic piece that ran along the inside of the hard top and attached with 6-8 screws. I looked at the back and found a Steel Horse sticker. Upon internet searching, it seems that this is not the most reputable brand of hard tops. I was wondering if anyone has ever used the qwick kits that have the two hard top latches that tension down and if you think that I could fabricate those onto it as a solution. I am running a 94 yj btw. Any other suggestions would be helpful... there is a large draft when driving and a lot of wind noise... so I know something needs to get fixed.

D-Rock86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I got the Kwik Kit, but, I only used the windshield latches. They work great, just don't know how the SH front lip looks, so, I don't know if it will work or not. I have the factory hardtop.

Jerry
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
D-Rock86
1994 YJ Wrangler 

anybody else ever have this issue?
D-Rock86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The hardtop doesn't need to be attached at the windshield. Just run a strip of gasket on the top of the frame and install the hardtop. The body mounts are more thaen enough to hold it in place. There is a channel for the soft tops.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ the only problem with that is, the front of the hard top will rub, squeak and such because, the windshield frame and top are not connected. You're right, the 8 bolts on the tub will keep it put, but, wind and rain can get in between the hardtop and windshield frame, force the top up, and make noise and get you wet as well.

Jerry
Unread 09-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
patnewk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's how ours was when we got it. Just using the bolts in the back to hold it down. Did some research and found out there used to be a strip of metal that was used to attach the hardtop to the windshield w/some rubber seal between. PO used duct tape which he said worked great. Forgot to mention needing ears plus....WOW!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.