Hard time starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard time starting

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
YJjeeper1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

4 banger not wanting to idle

So I'm having a wierd issue with my jeep, it's havin a hard time starting. When I turn the ignition it will turn on but unless I press the gas pedal down a bit it will idle down and die.

Battery is 3 months old and had it tested today and it's fine . Alternator is putting out good voltage, no vacuum leaks I could find, new fuel filter, new fuel injector O-ring, cleaned throttle body. Once it turns on if I let off the gas it will idle really rough around 500 rpms. However if I keep my foot on the gas from when I turn the ignition the rpms will be normal after a minute or two. Also once I drive it, it runs perfectly fine and idles normal at stops.

I though it might be a temp issue but it does this whether it's 5am or when it's been turned off after a long drive and turned right back on. Temp gauge reads normal, oil pressure is erratic, ranges from 45-75 when driving, it's fresh oil 10w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic.

SOrry for the wall of text, wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered before I asked for help. One other thing, my starter filled up with mud a month ago(mudding) and I had to remove it and clean it out, but ever since then it will have an occasional weak turnover but a good hit from the mallet fixes it right up. Although it seems like it rattles(clicks, squeaks? Hard to explain)during driving .

Last edited by YJjeeper1; 01-20-2014 at 08:50 PM..
YJjeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clean the iac, throttle body, and tps. Check your fault codes.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/q...-body-1262267/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...-valve-756934/
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
YJjeeper1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Going to clean the iac right now and get back to you, unfortunately as far as codes, it's an early yj with the renix system, my multimeters become my best friend. Do I have to remove the tps to clean it properly?
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dodnt see it was an 89. You dont have an iac. You have a idle control motor. Cleaning the throttlebody is a good idea but you will need a multimeter any time you mess with the ICM, throttle position sensor or the Wide open throttle switch. They all have adjustments. Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use it?
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
YJjeeper1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yup I do have a multimeter, how do I adjust the idle? 1989 2.5 tbi here
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pm sent. Call.me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.