Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hard starting

693 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  laybackman 
#1 · (Edited)
My jeep has been acting weird lately. I usually go out and start it and it starts up fine every time.

Now, when I start the Jeep lately and stall it by popping the clutch accidentally, it will not start it will just crank and crank forever. I don't know why it wont just start right back up.

It starts feeling like its starting and eventually after a couple of tries it will go but I have to feather the gas a bit.

It also smells like gas when it cranks for a while without starting. I check spark its fine and there is fuel at the rail.

any ideas?

CPS on its way out?

#3 ·
Well Im not sure exactly what you mean by a long crank time, but this is a fairly normal occurrance in engines with manual transmissions that I have seen. Not sure why yet. Almost seems as if it briefly floods the engine a bit. Just make sure to turn the key off, and then back to start after you kill it. Give the ECM a second to reset itself. Not sure if that answer is sufficient enough for you. Just thought I would chime in for a sec!

#4 ·
Don't give it any skinny pedal when starting. If it stalls try 'tapping' the gas pedal before you try to start it a second time.

#5 ·
Don't give it any skinny pedal when starting. If it stalls try 'tapping' the gas pedal before you try to start it a second time OR wait about 30 seconds before trying to turn it over again.

#7 ·
neither of those worked before. It will only start after i stall it if i hold on the starter and give it a little gas, its like it is started, you can hear it barely running but if u let off the key at all it will stop.

I have to give it some gas to get it going.

#6 ·
Sounds like you jumped the timing or cam setting

#10 ·
When it fails to start turn your ignition key to the START position. See if your CEL is lit. IF not you may have ECM issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.