hard to start when she sits for a day - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hard to start when she sits for a day

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
hepcat75

hard to start when she sits for a day

88 jeep YJ
weber carb was the only thing done to it for performance.

Anyway I bought this from my dad and it idleled like crap and found out about that nutter bypass and did it and it idles and revs great and even starts without giving it any gas untill it sits for awhile.

My main problem is when it sits for a day it takes a while to start like there is no fuel in the carb like it drains out or something. I can spray carb cleaner and she will fire right up then die when the starting fluid runs out.

I know there is no fuel pressure regulator on it and don't know if this could cause my problem but need ideas because i want to start driving it since I have had it for a little over a year( havn't put it in my name yet ) and it is time to put some miles on her.

Any thoughts

Raymond

hepcat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

With the mechanical fuel pump, there's no need for a fuel regulator, it's only pumping 3-5 psi anyway.

A few things to check, Evap connections and your fuel filter. Obviously the fuel is not sitting in the carb after long periods, meaning it's draining back or evaping.

1st the fuel filter and return line. The fuel filter must be the 1 line in, two out kind. pump.. -filter= carb and return line. The two out, must be on the carb side, not the pump side. Also, the carb line must be the lower one, return line on top, reason being, this bleeds off the exess pressure back to the tank. If you have em flipped, (carb feed on bottom) the fuel will slowly leak back into the tank overnight. Also the filter MUST be at least as high as the connection at the carb, if it's lower, the bowl will drain back. (Hence the ugly steel hard lines holding the fuel lines up over your calve cover)

Check the evap system, make sure all hoses are tight and connected. (underneath windhield washer resivior) if one is disconnected it'll slowly evap the fuel from the carb overnight disipating it into the air. You won't smell it because of the charcoal inthe canister.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.