Hard shifting Trans lube? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard shifting Trans lube?

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 08-29-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
halmc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hard shifting Trans lube?

My '92 YJ 2.5 shifts back and forth from first, second and third just peachy. After that, it's often a task to get it from third to fourth, and sometimes from fourth to fifth. Each of those difficult shifts involves some minor gear crunching and it's often very difficult to get it in the gear selected. Sometimes I have to go from third to fifth, cuz can't get it in fourth. Downshifting from fifth to fourth is much easier (tho it does produce a bit of crunch) and fourth to third is always easy and normal.

The transmission is full of lube, and the jeep has about 132Kmiles on it.

I'm thinking a rebuild kit w/synchros, but figured I'd ask anyway: any chance I can lessen this **** with any particular brand/weight of trans lube, and if so, which kind? I'd rather not rebuild the trans but can if I have to.

Unread 08-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ive always had good luck with Redline MTL, or MT90.

I just put in in my new YJ with 220K miles, and It stopped all gear clash as soon as I pulled out of the driveway.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 05:58 AM   #3
Kick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lucas gear oil is good stuff too
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd drain the fluid and check it out, look for debris, etc. I use regular 10W-30 motor oil in my Jeep standard trans, which is what the dealer recommends too since they altered the formula in gear oil.
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
DessertRatt07
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Could this be a clutch issue? Just wondering. I have the same issue except a bit more excessive. I can't go into reverse without a nice loud grind. I replaced the clutch, slave and clutch cylinder. I'm pretty sure I bled the heck out of it but still grinds. Will a good lubricant really make a difference?
DessertRatt07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRatt07 View Post
Could this be a clutch issue?
The clutch has no clue which gear you are using, wouldn't let some gears work fine and others not.
Unread 08-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Desert Rat, reverse is not synchronized. Try this to stop reverse from grinding. Come to a full stop, push the clutch in, shift to second, immediately shift to reverse. That should synchronize your transmission before trying to engage reverse gear.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
JeepRestoration

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a very similar problem. I was double clutching, repeatedly attempting to get it into 1st (downshifting) and second gear up shifting. I was convinced the transmission was going. Then the clutch master cylinder completely failed. When I replaced it, the problem was gone.

Before you do transmission work, try swapping the clutch master cylinder. Apparently it begins to fail and doesn't completely disengage the clutch. The tiny amount of drag causes the transmission to not synchronize properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.