hard to shift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hard to shift

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 06-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
combatcarlson
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hard to shift

'95, 4 cylinder, ax-5 transmission.

about 2 days ago, it suddenly got harder to shift into gear. 1st gear is giving the most resistance, while the rest are noticeably harder, but do not require too much extra effort. browsing the forums, ive seen plenty of info for what the problems may be.

so over the past few days, ive changed the fluid in the transmission usin 10w-30 synthetic oil, and put on a new master and slave clutch cylinder. changing gears got slightly easier, but still very difficult to change into 1st.

it looks like the next steps would be either the synchros or pilot bearing? would either one of these affect all gears at the same time, or would there be a gradual stiffness affecting different gears?

ive also noticed that 1st gear will drag a little when im at a stop. this only happens if i go directly to first gear. if i shift to 3rd before putting it in 1st there is no drag. an audible thud noise is also heard from the transmission when i push the shift towards being in gear. not when its in place, but when i start to push the shifter towards say 3rd or 4th gear, before its fully in position you can hear a slight thud.

all in all, my YJ is still drivable, just a pain to shift now. is this something that can lead to more severe problems, or can i drive it without much worry? i still plan to fix it ASAP in either case.

combatcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Have you had the trans off the vehicle recently? If so check to ensure the bell housing bolts have not loosened and backed out. This can cause a shift in the shaft that may cause this type of overall shifting issue. Good idea to crawl under there to look either way. IF not, then you are most likely looking at syncros and a rebuild. How many year/miles on the trans? What fluid was in it previously? How often was it serviced?
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
combatcarlson
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no idea how many miles are on the trans. im nearly at 200k miles, about 75k of those i put on myself. not sure what services the previous owner had done, and im almost sure this is the original transmission. i change the fluids on a pretty regular basis, and just changed the fluid using 10w-30 oil when it started acting up.

im getting set get in there to look at and replace the synchros, and while im at it do a new clutch a pilot bearing. its a little intimidating since ive never pulled a transmission or done any sort of internal work on one so im trying to collect as much info as possible so when i do it, i can be confident im doing it correctly.
combatcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatcarlson
no idea how many miles are on the trans. im nearly at 200k miles, about 75k of those i put on myself. not sure what services the previous owner had done, and im almost sure this is the original transmission. i change the fluids on a pretty regular basis, and just changed the fluid using 10w-30 oil when it started acting up.

im getting set get in there to look at and replace the synchros, and while im at it do a new clutch a pilot bearing. its a little intimidating since ive never pulled a transmission or done any sort of internal work on one so im trying to collect as much info as possible so when i do it, i can be confident im doing it correctly.
Get a service manual. My 17 year old daughter with a little help from me pulled her manual trans in our driveway. You can do it.

The rebuild? I took ours to a shop so if it grenades, I have a warranty. That said, there's some great threads and a youtube video that's excellent that goes through the process.

Sent by my pretentious iPhone.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds to me like you have a bearing going out. Mine did something similar before it went with 250,000 miles. I got water in it and didnt realize it though

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.