Hard doors or hard uppers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard doors or hard uppers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hard doors or hard uppers

I recently have purchased full hard doors and they need to be painted. I currently have half doors with hard uppers. I have been getting some quotes from a cuople of local shops to get the hard doors painted. After talking with these guys and getting 350 to 400 estimates, pretty much everyone says they won't look good after they are painted. Anyhow I can't decide if I should just sell the hard doors make a couple bucks or keep them and have them painted. What would you do. Keep in mind that I have hard upper doors, so it really wouldn't make that much difference, except for the roll down windows.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
Doublehead

Why won't they look good after they've been painted
Doublehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The painters all say that my paint, which is 15 yrs old has faded and they will not be able to get a perfect match. Which is fine with me. Most of them want to blend down both sides of the Jeep which I do not want done (overspray everywhere).

Also finish will be different, they say it will stick out like a sore thumb.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Unread 11-03-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
ditchdoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got a set that was in pretty bad shape (paint wise) well it took some work but I got em done and they look good. I went to a paint shop and had them mix me pint up and got a pint of clear. Lots of sanding and prep sprayed them myself. The color is not perfect but it's close enough. Hey its a jeep.
l---L –OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

CSA Jeepers Association Member #6
ditchdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Doublehead

Well you could paint the doors black or just paint the whole jeep
Doublehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #6
condor
2004 TJ Wrangler 

check into getting them rino lined. My son got his dones with a liner called full metal jacket. it is black and his jeep is a white 91 never been painted. looks pretty good.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
Rodeo1488
By These Things I Stand !

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You said that the paint not matching was okay by you, so don't worry about it. Sand 'em, Prime 'em, and paint them black. There you go.
White Jeep Club Member #1488
"Sometimes, there's Justice.......Sometimes, there's Just Us. "
- Living my life on a Thin Blue Line -

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayJeep
If that doesn't work, here's what you do. Buy a bunch of burritos and tie them to pieces of string. Then tie the strings to your Jeep. Then, when the meskins come out of the house drawn by the smell, you drive away. The meskins will chase burritos for miles and miles.
Rodeo1488 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just put them on the color they are. Is changing the color the best place for your next $400 Jeep dollars? I'm sure you can find another place for the money. If you insist on painting them, use Dupli-Color spary cans from Advance or Auto Zone. Since they are doors that you can lay down, it should be easy to keep runs at bay and get a nice job, for cheap. It's a frelling Jeep, pretty paint is not important.
Unread 11-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
'88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i replaced the front fenders on my 88 YJ and then i had the paint (original) on the body of the jeep matched at a paint shop and they made me some spray paint...i painted the fenders myself with the spray paint and it is a close match that hardly anyone beside myself could notice. keep in mind my jeep is bright yellow, too. i imagine that you would have the same results with your doors that i had. good luck!
'88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #10
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just because it is a jeep it doesn't have to look like crap. I like my rig to look as good as it performs. Anyhow I think I will try painting them myself, if it doesn't work out I will just sell them and use the money for something else. Also the 400 for me isn't really a big issue.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747535
Unread 11-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #11
pyro9862

I decided I was going to learn to paint on tuesday.

I went to the paint shop with a sample of what I was trying to match and they mixed up some single stage paint for me. The paint, reducer, and I can't remember the name of the third component ran me $60. Then I bought an HVLP gun for $100 (not the best but not the worst either). I practiced a couple minutes on a box then painted a quarter; horrible orange peel. I figured out my regulator was only capable of 8cfm while the gun ate 16. A $35 reg and a $9 secondary water trap later I did the fender which turned out much better, still a little orange peel but you can't see it unless you're head is closer than a foot or so. The paint isn't a match, new stuff is much shinier I blended it the best I could and it looks decent, should turn out a little better once I polish all the old paint. I can't imagine that a paint shop would have been able to match it that much better even though they would have had no problem writing me a $600 bill.

Total $204 (primer and paper I already had) to paint my quarter and fender and I have the gun, reg, and water trap so the next time around it's only going to run me $60.

If all your doing is doors you don't need a huge compressor either, I used a 22 gallon 2hp Matco compressor which didn't even turn on until I was done. I couldn't do anything bigger than a quarter or a fender at a time though without more air. Oh and I did it in my driveway too, not one bug or piece of dust in the paint somehow.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.