hard door adjustment ????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hard door adjustment ?????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
leadsled01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hard door adjustment ?????

My 1995 yj has a cj hardtop and doors. The passenger side door is to far back, meaning there is a large gap at the hinges and almost no gap at the latch. Its so bad that the latch catch's and I have to yank the door open. Is there a way to adjust these hinges or door to change the gap?

leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
domdan69

Yes.
When I installed CJ hardtop and full doors, I had to use all the adjustment areas: windhield, door , and tub . It takes awhile to get everything lined up......I definately had to adjust the windshield on mine to get rid of the gap between the front door frame and windshield frame.

(forgot to say...just in case...the bolts loosen on the door hinges to allow up to about 1/4 inch adjustment in all directions)
93 YJ I6 4.0 custom welded aluminum front fender, herculined , 33" 12.50 15x8 BDS 2" suspension, M.O.R.E. Boomerang shackles, Teraflex disco's, Flattened and hacked out wells, electric fan to replace stock fan.WARNx8000i,high-lift jack,relocated mirrors
domdan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If the other side fits perfect then measure and relocate the pass. side accordingly ofc I hope you don't have a nice pretty paint job... I had a problem with mine aswell but there were from another Yj one was to high and one was to low :/

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The bolts that hold the hinge to the door need to be loosened, then adjust the door and retighten.

This is easier said than done on a YJ where the bolts have never been moved. It's common to strip the torx splines from inside the head & then have a real problem removing the bolts. Here's how I remove torx bolts from my YJs:
  • Start with an impact gun and a good quality torx bit - this will remove the bolt, strip it, or break the bit. I've had pretty good luck with this method.
  • Use a 5/16" Carbide drill bit to remove the bolt head - you'll need a good quality carbide bit and a drill bit sharpener to get them all. The bolts are 5/16, so the bit will just remove the head leaving a bit of the stud protruding from the door. At this point, you can find someone with a welder and weld a washer & nut to the stud - for me, this has been 100% effective.
  • If you aren't concerned with a bit of welding spatter over the hinges, you don't need to drill out the head, you can take the paint off the bolt head and weld the washer & nut to that - the huge amount of heat from the weld will break the bolt loose & you can take it out by using a socket on the nut. Many people just use the nut, but I find I get a better bond to the bolt by starting with a washer first.

Here are a couple of pictures showing one of these bolts with both washer and nut - this bolt still has the head left on it, I seldom bother drilling anymore.

Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
leadsled01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

JeepForum to the rescue!! Thanks guys, I will adjust my door tonight. I did not relize that the hinges and door had alittle play. It just looked like it was a direct bolt on with no movement.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.