Harbor Freight winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Harbor Freight winch

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
sportster60441
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Harbor Freight winch

I have a question. I live near a Harbor Freight in Naperville IL. They have their brand winch which is a 12000lb one for 299.00 this weekend. Do you think this is a good deal. I'm gonna mount it on my YJ and it will see occasion use in the summer and more use in the fall and early winter. Anyone's thoughts w

Any

sportster60441 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have a cheapass winch on the front of my heep. I hook up the power wire via a wing nut when I need to use it.
In 4 years it has never failed me. May not be very fast but I don't really need a fast winch.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ran the model smaller than that on my YJ. It worked well for occasional use. Never had any issues with it and was working great still when I sold my YJ.

The newer "budget winches" all use decent little motors anymore, they aren't anywhere as nice as the 1500 dollar Warn winches, but aren't horrible either. They are just that, budget winches.

Just a heads up, this is a can of worms.

This time around I'm going with a Warn, more because in the last year I've decided to make an effort to buy American when I can.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
sportster60441
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's the kind of opinion I was looking for. I'm saying for occasional use now but ill see as time goes on if I really could use a warn winch with synthetic rope. Are the warm winches safer and therefore more money?
sportster60441 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster60441 View Post
That's the kind of opinion I was looking for. I'm saying for occasional use now but ill see as time goes on if I really could use a warn winch with synthetic rope. Are the warm winches safer and therefore more money?
Better internals, faster, better duty cycle, better quality control, more reliable, and made in the US.

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to go Engo for my budget winch...have read several good review and comparison articles on it, and it surprisingly beat Warn in a couple of categories
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/e...pping-1238320/
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought one of the cheapie Quadratech winch/bumper combos. I figure that it might get used once or twice a year so that was good enough for me.
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I know a couple of guys who have the $300 harbor freight 12,500 # winch, they seem to work fine. Buy the warranty, then if it breaks you get a new one, they don't repair them.

I am assuming that you will be using a winch while wheeling with a group and that some others you are with will have winches as well. If you are going to be exploring South America for a couple of years by yourself get a Warn.
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would say get one with a better warranty for the same price. Q-tec has their 11000 series for only a bit more, and has a better warranty.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm

Better internals, faster, better duty cycle, better quality control, more reliable, and made in the US.
The low end warn is made in china. I bought it for $100 more than other china winches because I thought it was American made. It's a V8000 I think like $450. I think the M series is USA but I would check first. I hope I can get parts if it fails
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
The low end warn is made in china. I bought it for $100 more than other china winches because I thought it was American made. It's a V8000 I think like $450. I think the M series is USA but I would check first. I hope I can get parts if it fails
Your data is innacurate. According to Warn, they are made/assembled in Oregon. Some parts of the VR arent US made, though, so you have it partly right.

Quote:
Hi,

Let me clear up a few things.

The WARN VR Series winches are not rebadged Tabors, they're not just rebadged M-series winches, and they're not being bought from a Chinese factory and having WARN logos slapped on 'em.

The WARN VR winches have different motors, geartrains, remotes, and finishes vs. the M-series (the Tabor winches have been discontinued in North America). They're backed by the same limited lifetime warranty that we have on all of our other 12V truck winches, and we test them just like all of our other winches. These are currently on our assembly lines in Oregon.

Yes, some of the parts come from global suppliers, but other parts are also are made in our Oregon plants. In addition, they're all designed, engineered, tested, and assembled in Clackamas, OR.

I hope this clears up some confusion.

- Andy
From here:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-rec...r-winches.html

Unread 06-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Had a made in china right on the box by the UPC. Has to send that in for my rebate. Hope your right but I found that information pretty damning. Like I said, it was the reason I bought it because I thought it was a USA product
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
Had a made in china right on the box by the UPC. Has to send that in for my rebate. Hope your right but I found that information pretty damning. Like I said, it was the reason I bought it because I thought it was a USA product
Hmm. Maybe I shouldn't take what a company says at face value.

I'm going to email them because now I'm questioning their rep..

Thanks for the info.

Edit: dropped them a line, I'll post up their reply when I get one. I'm looking at their Zeon line myself and not US made would be a deal breaker for me.

Unread 06-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for calling. I am curious what they say.
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is it XRC that just put out a $299 winch recently? I have only NEEDED a winch once, generally i dont wheel rock faces or deep mud - just want one "in case". My father in law as one of those $1500 ridiculous warn winches on his TJ... seems unnecessary.
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.