Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

hand throttle???

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  jeffy 
#1 ·
i found a hand throttle on ebay for like $30 and they say it's better than the re one... i havn't really researched these that much, but they sound like a good idea for rock crawlers like me :D
anybody got one, know someone who has one, have any feedback on one????
thanx in advance :wave:

#3 ·
Well, bening an owner of a RE hand throttle, I can say it's not all that. The parts alone aren't worth $30. Parts are more like $10-15, tops. You can buy the the shifter part from a bike store for around $5. Cable and sleeve for $3-5, then you'll need misc parts to attach the cable to the thotttle body.

Hand throttles are simple in their design. A hand control that conencts to the throttle body with a cable. There is nothing to cut the throttle if the brakes are applied.

#4 ·
"There is nothing to cut the throttle if the brakes are applied."

Oh yes there is. Handicapped people use them all the time. 1969 Nissan Patrol came stock with one. I had one on my jeep to use in conjunction with the winch when I ran it off the PTO.

#5 ·
I made my own on the cheap. I got a replacement throttle set up for a lawnmower from home depot. came with the throttle lever and cable. cost me a whopping 8 bucks as I recall. mounted the lever on my center console and hooked it up. Works great. it has enough travel to open the throttle body all the way. I don't really use it when wheeling since I have an auto, but its great for the OBA and works as a cruise control as well.

#7 ·
Bob_R said:
"There is nothing to cut the throttle if the brakes are applied."

Oh yes there is. Handicapped people use them all the time. 1969 Nissan Patrol came stock with one. I had one on my jeep to use in conjunction with the winch when I ran it off the PTO.
Oh no there is not.

We are talking about Jeep hand throttles. I have never seen one that ties into the brakes that is sold for Jeeps. They are only cables that pull the throttle. In fact, they are for off roading only. When you release the handle it releases the throttle. There is no need for a brake tie in. He is not talking about installing a "handi" unit or a cruise control.

#10 ·
ghiradelli777 said:
ok

i need more info on how it works, becasue i want to get into crawling

and more tech info on what it takes to install

thanks
Basically it's a bike gear shifter with a pull thru cable that connects to the throttle body directly. Nothing special about it. Some people use the bike brake handle while other use a choke. The only difficult part is to secure the sleeve but that's not too difficult. Attaching the cable to the TB is even easier.

I suggest making your own since it's easy enough. I ended up buying one to see what it really comes with. (Not much)

#12 ·
paultyler said:
Oh no there is not.

We are talking about Jeep hand throttles.
I have never seen one that ties into the brakes that is sold for Jeeps.
They are only cables that pull the throttle.
In fact, they are for off roading only.
When you release the handle it releases the throttle.
There is no need for a brake tie in.
He is not talking about installing a "handi" unit or a cruise control.
oh yes there is, not , is , not oh well heck. As my daughter would say "what ever":)

Really though there is, but no, not designed for Jeeps, (a 1968 Nissan patrol yes) but could be just as you use throttle cables or bike cables and they are used in every day vehicles for a select group. Hence, by law they have to be brake pedal controlled. We are just talking about two different things. :)

#13 ·
Bob_R said:
oh yes there is, not , is , not oh well heck. As my daughter would say "what ever":)

Really though there is, but no, not designed for Jeeps, (a 1968 Nissan patrol yes) but could be just as you use throttle cables or bike cables and they are used in every day vehicles for a select group. Hence, by law they have to be brake pedal controlled. We are just talking about two different things. :)
LOL. I know. :kiss:

Wait a minute...that kissing looks tacky...lets try this: :wave:

That's better.

#16 ·
heres some pics of my set up. As I said, I got a replacement throttle set up for a lawnmower from Home Depot. they had two different types. Got it for about 8 bucks as I recall.

Here is the throttle control mounted to the side of my center console. whenever i get around to fabbing a new console from steel, it will be mounted inside with only the handle sticking out

and heres the attatchment to the throttle body

#17 ·
well, i'm not worried about making my own, they are not that expensive, and i'd rather just buy one that's set up for my jeep, and call it a day..... i'm usually good w/ fab work, but i only fab if what i want is too expensive. $30 is no biggie.
my next question would be, are they worth it???? i want to crawl, and have heard horror stories about releasing the brake and coming down off the rock and getting stuck b/c they weren't quick enough on the clutch and go pedal.

#18 ·
I don't do rocks. I like it for revving the engine when winching, but mostly for keeping a steady throttle on really bumpy trails.

My foot tends to be bounced too much, the hand throttle smooths things out.

It's also handy for having people say "what's that?".

#19 ·
jipjip said:
well, i'm not worried about making my own, they are not that expensive, and i'd rather just buy one that's set up for my jeep, and call it a day..... i'm usually good w/ fab work, but i only fab if what i want is too expensive. $30 is no biggie.
my next question would be, are they worth it???? i want to crawl, and have heard horror stories about releasing the brake and coming down off the rock and getting stuck b/c they weren't quick enough on the clutch and go pedal.
Problem with the RE kit is that it's not a kit. You get a bag of misc parts that may or may not be useful. :mad:

#20 ·
jeffy said:
Problem with the RE kit is that it's not a kit. You get a bag of misc parts that may or may not be useful. :mad:
it's not the re kit i'm looking at. offroadtoystore has the kit, i don't remember who it's made by, but they have it specifically for jeeps :D

#22 ·
The RE hand throttle works great for rockcrawling. It was the first mod I did after I lifted the YJ. It's worth the $30 or the time it takes to hunt down all the parts. Check the RE website for install directions, it'll give you a better idea of what you need to do.

#24 ·
boomboom33 said:
Go with the kit from Offroadtoystore, It's made by 33 engineering which is part of their company. It's a very complete kit. I've got it, and I love it.
thats the kit i'm talking about....i new the name, just couldn't remember it...
it's supposed to be a complete kit, and works well from what i've read. just wanted to know if anyone had one, and how they used them!!!

#25 ·
jipjip said:
it's not the re kit i'm looking at. offroadtoystore has the kit, i don't remember who it's made by, but they have it specifically for jeeps :D
Honestly, that one doesn't look much different. But then for $30, any of the hand-throttles will work fine. They use cheap parts and are considered universal. I'd go with which ever's cheaper in that case.

RE's hand-throttle isn't junk but the collection of parts aren't really much more then piecing it together yourself. The instructions weren't specific at all because it's universal. You just get a bag of misc. parts and figure out what to use on your own. I jsut checked their new instructions and they're much better. http://www.rubiconexpress.com/instructions/rubiconexpress/RE1000A.pdf

If you want to save money, you can buy all the parts yourself. The only difficult parts would be attaching it to the TB but there are several options. Check out RE's instructions and there are some pictures. Basically, they loop the cable then crimp it together. The loop goes over the TB and a washer with a clip holds the cable on.

They use a cable guide with a bracket, but washers could be used to hole the sleeve to the guide bracket attached to the engine. This keeps the sleeve from moving. Not much really to it.:thumbsup:

I mainly use mine for OBA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.