Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Halftop

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  YJ_Aaron 
#1 ·
I'm pretty hard-set on picking one of these up next. What's the cheapest place to pick them up at? I've seen them for 200 in a JCWhitney mag, from Outland,don't know the brand, but they seem to have a lot of stuff so I assume they're decent. Has anyone seen them for cheaper? Or know of one that's for sale from a friend/auction/whatever?

#2 ·
I've seen the Bestop model for as low as $475. Personally though, I can't be convinced to spend that much on a top.

I've also looked at the Outland cab top. Lowest I recall is about $170 at Tellico 4x4. Roughly what you'd pay for the bikini/windjammer/tonneau, and I'm sure it would seal better.

Have yet to find anyone that has any experience with it though, so I'm a bit wary.

#4 ·
WPAJeep said:
Or if you are in the mood for a challenge, the Scrambler half hardtop is an option (albeit a more costly one). That's what I'm going to do sometime down the line.
or do like me and fab your own from an existing hardtop. come spring I'm going to attempt this. just need to wait for warmer weather so i can go pick up the top I'll be cutting down. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
I got mine from Californiatops. Personally I absolutely love it.

I recommend a californiatop half-top.

#6 ·
sentinal02 said:
or do like me and fab your own from an existing hardtop. come spring I'm going to attempt this. just need to wait for warmer weather so i can go pick up the top I'll be cutting down. :thumbsup:
While searching for tips on the Scrambler idea, I came across you making mention of that in a thread sometime last year, or so.

A half hardtop is the ideal setup for me. A custom cage inside, and leave the back open. Haven't actually seen a writeup on it anywhere though.

Keep us updated. :wave:

#7 ·
WPAJeep said:
While searching for tips on the Scrambler idea, I came across you making mention of that in a thread sometime last year, or so.

A half hardtop is the ideal setup for me. A custom cage inside, and leave the back open. Haven't actually seen a writeup on it anywhere though.

Keep us updated. :wave:
yeah i was toying with the idea last year. i found a guy with an old top that he's will to let me have, (just have to wait for a warmer day so i can drive the 4 hour round trip to go get it) so I'm going to attemp to cut it down. will definitely do a write up when i'm done if i can make it work.

#8 ·
I'm actually going to try and make a hardtop version of the halftop come this summer when I can park the jeep for a while, and have some warm weather. I already have a bit of experience with making stuff out of fiberglass, and a halftop actually looks extremely easy to make. Basically just 4 squares. But the cost of the back glass would be just as much as buying a soft top version, and I need something pretty quick right now, anyway.

What are the links for the California and Tellico half tops?

#9 ·
lordmatt said:
But the cost of the back glass would be just as much as buying a soft top version
who says you have to use the same glass that's in the rear now? it's not like it's going to mate up to the tail gate when it's a half top. a flat rectangle of auto glass or lexan should be all you need. I'm actually planning on making the rear face of the half top removable, sort of like a windjammer. just have to figure out how to fit it around the stock cage.

#11 ·
That outline website has the top for vehicles up to 91. But the pic shows a Jeep with the 92+ roll bar. :confused:

Edit: okay I looked around the website some more. Guess it was just a generic photo. They have the same pic for the 92+ tops. I like the price too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.