Is h4 headlights the best? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is h4 headlights the best?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #61
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hella E-code lamps if you want to have good lights, then make a new wiring harness for the lights with relays. You will be amazed at the light output.

HID's are junk, don't bother. LED is pricey, if you can afford it, then go for it, but the E-code lamps work great otherwise.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #62
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Hella E-code lamps if you want to have good lights, then make a new wiring harness for the lights with relays. You will be amazed at the light output.

HID's are junk, don't bother. LED is pricey, if you can afford it, then go for it, but the E-code lamps work great otherwise.

i did my bi-xenon retrofit for under 200.00

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #63
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage56 View Post

Those are upside down. The cut line should be at the top. I work for an automotive lighting company. I look at cut lines a lot.
msprooch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #64
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

explain cut line, i am still trying to decide on headlamps, budget of aprox $250
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #65
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum View Post
explain cut line, i am still trying to decide on headlamps, budget of aprox $250
Cibie 5x7 housings, high quality H4 bulbs, new relay wiring. Under $250, headlights and bulbs are simple to install, and the wiring is easy if you are familiar with it. Light output and pattern are fantastic. Email Daniel Stern at the links above. You'll be glad you did.
djwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #66
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprooch View Post

Those are upside down. The cut line should be at the top. I work for an automotive lighting company. I look at cut lines a lot.
Then look a little closer, they are at the top they're just aimed down so that I'm not blinding people

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #67
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum View Post
i am still trying to decide on headlamps, budget of aprox $250
well look at that just get your stuff from here http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

and you already have a harness so you can just mod it to be bi-xenon

if you can do a ls swap you can do a projector retro.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #68
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Then look a little closer, they are at the top they're just aimed down so that I'm not blinding people
Do you have the hi beams on in the second to last photo?
Unread 02-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #69
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprooch View Post
I work for an automotive lighting company. I look at cut lines a lot.
Then you should have recognized that his lights are the right way up

Quote:
They need to be ~100 feet out from your jeep, the top of the line, on low beam. That is the approximate threshold to work with, high enough to be fine, but not so high that they're a nuisance

----------

Personally, I'm going with LED for everything. I just don't want any weak points from retrofitted headlights or any of that, since I am not building my Jeep to drive it like a grandma

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 02-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #70
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

They look a little better on my computer (Using my phone before), you can see a cut line in the above photo. It would be more horizontal if it was in car position and not on a desk.
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #71
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The problem with American DOT headlight pattern is it sucks! Cibie uses E code, Hella as well, just not as high quality lens. The Cibie will shoot the beam straight out and then up to the right with a distinct cutoff. Any headlight can throw a beam, especially the kind that blinds oncoming traffic. It is not the intensity, it is the direction and pattern that makes one better than the other. You can buy all the fleabay Chineese crap and put it on your Jeeps, but you will never get the results than if you got the right stuff to begin with. I have projectors on my NNBS Chevy Silverado and it doesn't come close to the lighting my Jeep throws. Find someone with E codes and the correct wiring with relays and you can see for yourself. By the way, all the top European cars have had these same lights for years.
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #72
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Most don't realize that how the light is shaped is incredibly crucial. You can put as high a wattage HID in your headlights as you want, it won't make a difference, your light is still scattered where it doesn't need to go. Might as well just drive with a flashlight, at least you can point the light where you need to see.

Unread 02-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #73
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Most don't realize that how the light is shaped is incredibly crucial. You can put as high a wattage HID in your headlights as you want, it won't make a difference, your light is still scattered where it doesn't need to go. Might as well just drive with a flashlight, at least you can point the light where you need to see.

Thats very true and the exact problem I had with the deltas I purchased, very bright but so many shaddowy peaks and valleys, just a terribly distracting pattern.

So is the general concensus on H4 housings and bulbs(not hid or led) that The Cibie housing will give the best pattern and osram bulbs mentioned earlier in the thread will give a nice wide spectrum bright light?

I dont care about trendy white or odd colors I just want a wide even bright pattern for my aging eyes . Thanks
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #74
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok re-read the thread and on advice have, contacted http://www.danielsternlighting.com for appropriate housings and bulbs.
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #75
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I found the Cibies to be the easiest on my eyes during long drives. Trucklites were the worst.
djwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.