Is h4 headlights the best? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is h4 headlights the best?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

An HID bulb will never focus properly in a lamp designed around a Halogen bulb. You will always wind up with excessive glare. Even cars that have reflectors designed for HID bulbs have issues, the only real way to focus the HID light is to utilize a projector. Manufacturers have invested countless hours of R&D in projector design, playing field shape, auto-levelling systems, bulb design, what have ye, into ensuring the light is properly focused and is never going to be a nuisance to oncoming traffic. They have gone as far as implementing auto-high beam systems that will prevent you from triggering the high beams if oncoming light is detected from traffic.

Different bulb length, different light source, different light pattern, different light characteristics, the only similarities an HID bulb has to a Halogen bulb is that they both create light in a small glass structure.

The Truck-Lite LED lamps are already far superior to anything HID. No vibration issues, no sensitive electrodes to break, no having to fit Ballasts, no high current draws on startup, more stable power consumption, so on and so forth. I will never use HID again. You'll find most Baja racers also prefer LED light because it is a more stable design for the strains they subject their lights to.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
bmedeiros678
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know how much hid is but I purchased an upgrade kit from crown for dirt cheap
bmedeiros678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmedeiros678 View Post
I don't know how much hid is but I purchased an upgrade kit from crown for dirt cheap
An HID kit or a set of sealed beam conversions?

Most don't realize that the Sylvania Silverstars are actually good sealed beam lamps. Fit yourself a relay harness and the light output is solid.

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty 'tarded with this stuff...
THISis the type of conversion we are talking about?

To me the LEDs linked look like only 1/2 of the light is illuminated on low beams, and the whole thing on high beams? That seems odd to me...and wow the price tag!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sparrows that is the h4 conversion housing but you do not want to add hid's to them.

This is the retrofit looks like that I ordered
image-3023156988.jpg

image-3536799080.jpg

image-3217831069.jpg

Unread 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Xpress are you saying that you have the Truck-Lite LED's installed in your YJ?

I'm just wondering if they would require the wiring changes needed to get the full benefit of the lights, like the h4 conversions do, or is the draw low enough to use stock headlight wiring without worry of melting anything?
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Have these and after trying the Delta/Round Eyes/IPF route are quite an improvement.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/he...product=100161
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste
Have these and after trying the Delta/Round Eyes/IPF route are quite an improvement. http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/he...product=100161
Speaker lights are insane but their price is way too inflated. I have never seen a set under 750.00. I could never justify that amount my retrofitted housings and hid's are setting me back just over 250 for the pair
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #24
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
An HID bulb will never focus properly in a lamp designed around a Halogen bulb. You will always wind up with excessive glare. Even cars that have reflectors designed for HID bulbs have issues, the only real way to focus the HID light is to utilize a projector. Manufacturers have invested countless hours of R&D in projector design, playing field shape, auto-levelling systems, bulb design, what have ye, into ensuring the light is properly focused and is never going to be a nuisance to oncoming traffic. They have gone as far as implementing auto-high beam systems that will prevent you from triggering the high beams if oncoming light is detected from traffic.

Different bulb length, different light source, different light pattern, different light characteristics, the only similarities an HID bulb has to a Halogen bulb is that they both create light in a small glass structure.

The Truck-Lite LED lamps are already far superior to anything HID. No vibration issues, no sensitive electrodes to break, no having to fit Ballasts, no high current draws on startup, more stable power consumption, so on and so forth. I will never use HID again. You'll find most Baja racers also prefer LED light because it is a more stable design for the strains they subject their lights to.
I agree with the first part of your statement. HID's do not make good lights for street use. Too much light bleeds off and they end up blinding everyone.
Plus, they take 10 seconds or so to warm up so high beam use isn't good.

As far as breakage, Nope. Much better than halogen. Have never burnt a bulb or ballast. (These are on high end off road lights @9")
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #25
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've broken most of the HID bulbs I've used, high end, low end, doesn't matter. Only ones I have never killed were in my KC Spot lamps.

Unread 11-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
Xpress are you saying that you have the Truck-Lite LED's installed in your YJ?

I'm just wondering if they would require the wiring changes needed to get the full benefit of the lights, like the h4 conversions do, or is the draw low enough to use stock headlight wiring without worry of melting anything?
Considering my YJ is a pile of parts, no. However, having experienced them in person, I can attest they are the best money can buy.

Any upgrade over the stock headlamps will justify a wiring harness upgrade. The factory wiring is junk, especially with the power being routed through the futzy headlamp switch which has known issues.

Unread 11-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
bmedeiros678
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
An HID kit or a set of sealed beam .
http://www.crownautomotive.net/mm5/m...Category_Code=

Halogen bulbs. Is that hid?
bmedeiros678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #28
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Halogen and HID bulbs are 2 totally different types of light sources.

HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. HID bulbs use an electrical charge (sometimes in excess of 25,000 volts!) to ignite a mixture of gas and sand inside of the bulb to form a plasma arch. This plasma arch is what creates the light. An HID bulb requires the use of a ballast to supply the electrical requirements to ignite the bulb and keep it running. HID bulbs usually take 10-30 seconds to fully heat up and give off their maximum light output. Typically high end luxury cars feature HID's as standard (though most are switching to LED).

A Halogen bulb uses a traditional filament surrounded with a gas to create light. Electricity is passed through this filament which causes it to glow and give off light- the gas prevents the filament from burning up.

2 different bulb types, 2 different sources of light. Each has their own individual characteristics when they give off light.

Unread 11-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #29
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Halogen and HID bulbs are 2 totally different types of light sources.

HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. HID bulbs use an electrical charge (sometimes in excess of 25,000 volts!) to ignite a mixture of gas and sand inside of the bulb to form a plasma arch. This plasma arch is what creates the light. An HID bulb requires the use of a ballast to supply the electrical requirements to ignite the bulb and keep it running. HID bulbs usually take 10-30 seconds to fully heat up and give off their maximum light output. Typically high end luxury cars feature HID's as standard (though most are switching to LED).

A Halogen bulb uses a traditional filament surrounded with a gas to create light. Electricity is passed through this filament which causes it to glow and give off light- the gas prevents the filament from burning up.

2 different bulb types, 2 different sources of light. Each has their own individual characteristics when they give off light.
Good explanation.

If that doesn't make sense, HIDs are a lot like the arc from a welder.

I work in automotive lighting, and HIDs if in a well designed enclosure will be the best us jeepers can do right now outside of the Trucklites LED ones.

However, I have LEDs on my desk that can beat HIDs but you can't get them anywhere except in some OEM lights that are not even in junk yards yet and you still need a LDM heat sink lens and other secret stuff.
msprooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #30
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i have found if staying with a halogen the best housings are the hella e-code h4 conversions. better light distridution then most other housings and a sharp cutoff. the cutoff with 80/90w bulbs is better then most halogen projectors.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.