Is h4 headlights the best? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is h4 headlights the best?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
jagarcia82
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is h4 headlights the best?

Was just curious what type of headlights are the brightest for YJ's? Is h4's the best? if so what type have you guys tried out? Or what do you recommend. Also is there addition wiring needed or simply plug and play?

Also anyone having trouble with searches now? I keep getting an error when I try now?

jagarcia82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

THere are H4 conversion kits out there for the YJ. i personally have the IPF H4 head light housings and the IPF phat boy bulbs, they are the best headlight i have ever seen, i personally like them better than HID's. With those bulbs i did not need new wiring, how ever i did melt one of the crappy plastic connectors on the stock harness, so i just pulled the connector apart and sodder crimped on new connector to each wire, that way the heat can disapate. Havent had an issue now for over a year.
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
itsnotmyjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Im planning on getting these.
I have purchased from them before and they are good quality.
Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

What wattage you get will depend on if you need to update the wiring or not.
Unread 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

after I installed a heavy duty wiring harness to eliminate the voltage drop, I used IPF H4 housings with Silvania Silverstar Ultra H4 bulbs, and I had more light than most higher end luxury sedans and SUVs, and the ricers cant believe my lights outshine their "cool blue" drop ins

The Silverstars aren't the best bulbs to use either, I got them because I was in a bind.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got some cheap H4 housings from ebay and they're much better than stock, but I'd still rather have some Hella E-code housings or IPF for better light distribution.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I got some Pilot H4 conversion housings on my YJ and put Silverstar H4 bulbs in them. While they are brighter and better than stock, personally I am saving up to get an HID kit to put in the housings instead. If you want bright light you can't beat HIDs. I installed and HID conversion kit on my Hayabusa and I absolutely love them! I like them so much I want to put a set in my YJ and my tow rig
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
jagarcia82
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So whats the difference in h4 and HID?
jagarcia82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

HID stands for high intesity discharge. It uses a gas to create the light. Not amp it like a normal filiment bulb does. Personally I have yet to see a head light that is made to run an HID bulb (projectors are needed to run HIDs) that looks good on a jeep. If you want good light out put with out having to do alot of wiring just get a set of H4 housings and some good H4 bulbs (ipf,Hellas, delta,) something like that. Stay away from off brand lights. There is nothing out there to regualte the output of lights except if there dot or not. Some companys will say there optical out put is super high or that the actual wattage is super high but that doesn't always mean the lights will be bright (ask me how I know)
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
540i
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check out the Autopal ones on ebay, they are nice I've had 2 sets and you can't beat the price, metal back glass front and come with bulbs.
200mm H6054 H4 EURO CONVERSION HEADLIGHTS KIT : eBay Motors (item 330392142866 end time Feb-02-10 21:23:37 PST)
540i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #10
zippoguy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hi all, great thread, could someone tell me what kind of a wiring harness is recommended to properly upgrade?
zippoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

has anybody here ponied up the big $$ for a set of these LED's yet?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/t...roved-1750410/
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarcia82 View Post
So whats the difference in h4 and HID?
An H4 is simply the style of connector being used to tie into the wiring harness. When you out HIDs in a jeep you must use an H4 connector to plug it in.

What you mean is what is the difference between HALOGEN and HID, as you can get both with the h4 connectors.

As to the differences, halogen lights are the stock/common lights in most vehicle on the roads. HIDs use a xenon gas inside the bulb which draws a lot more powers putting out a lot more light, but if not properly aimed, it's useless glare.

I'm personally a fan of the LED headlights however Trucklite is out of my price range, so I'm building my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
beemerkid
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
has anybody here ponied up the big $$ for a set of these LED's yet?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/t...roved-1750410/
My room mate has a round pair for his cj, and they are quite good. Brighter than my h4 conversion with stock wiring and 100watt high beam bulbs. Also more even light distribution. About on par with my rigid d2's. If you love light, they're pretty sweet.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Trucklite LEDs are bright , I personally ordered a set of bi Xeon hid retro fitted h4 housings using FXR projector, gatlin gun shroud ,and a 4300k temp bulb I will not see them until January/February since I am on a waiting list.
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
An H4 is simply the style of connector being used to tie into the wiring harness. When you out HIDs in a jeep you must use an H4 connector to plug it in.

What you mean is what is the difference between HALOGEN and HID, as you can get both with the h4 connectors.

As to the differences, halogen lights are the stock/common lights in most vehicle on the roads. HIDs use a xenon gas inside the bulb which draws a lot more powers putting out a lot more light, but if not properly aimed, it's useless glare.

I'm personally a fan of the LED headlights however Trucklite is out of my price range, so I'm building my own.
HID lights use much LESS power when compared to conventional or halogen. Usually less than half.

HID lights are comparable to street lights as they are a subtype of modern arc lights. There are metal salts as well as different gases, not just xenon. There are mercury vapor, metal halide ect. Depends on which bulb chosen.

When the arc is initiated, the metal salts evaporate forming plasma which increases the lights intensity and reduces the power demand.

HID's are a generic term like Kleenex. They are everywhere. Sports arenas streetlights, movie sets. The light has the ability to be very natural.

I will switch to LED when they can match my HID's. Getting better, but not yet.

And last, all lights need to be aimed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.