Ground clearance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ground clearance

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ground clearance

So I am all lifted. 2.5" springs, 1" BL, 1" shackle lift. But then I had to lower my Transfer case? I am trying to figure something out. If I lift all that but then lower my transfer case, I am essentially reducing my ground clearance, right? The I still have the differentials to deal with. So there are 2 issues, the skid plate and differentials. I am thinking the only way to gain more clearance for the diffs is larger tires, correct? And what about the transfer case and skid plate?

Unread 04-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Have you looked into a slip yoke?
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, bigger tires for diff clearance. A slip yoke eliminator (sye) would allow you to lose the t-case drop. Alternatively, a motor mount lift will also work in conjunction with shim packs in the rear springs to restore the driveline angle. Better yet, do all of the above and give it a tummy tuck.
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I did the shims on the rear axle but still needed to mower transfer case. I don't know much about a SYE but seems expensive. I will have to do some research on it.
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrebs View Post
Yeah I did the shims on the rear axle but still needed to mower transfer case. I don't know much about a SYE but seems expensive. I will have to do some research on it.
It's not too expensive (compared to other projects on the Jeep) and the pay off is pretty huge. I got my SYE shipped for $144.00, picked up and XJ front shaft for a junk yard for $15.00, and a local shop is going to cut and balance it for me for about $65.00. So I'm looking at $224.00 all together. It'll make my DS angle soooo much better and I get that inch back from the t-case.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

An SYE is the way to go. But...

I didn't need an inch of transfer case lowering. I installed OME springs and had a vibration. I experimented with different transfer case drops using large washers and found 1/2" made the vibration completely disappear. So I cut the cut the 1" spacers in half with my band saw. It worked perfectly and half an inch really isn't that much.

I still want an SYE because I don't like our cheesy driveshafts anyway, but it bought me plenty of time so I can pay the IRS the thousands I owe to the Treasury.
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

you can do all the suspension and body lift stuff you want but the only way to raise your ground clearance is larger (meaning larger diameter) tires. Anything else just gives you more clearance between the tires and body, or is cosmetic in nature. Of course, you can only enlarge the tires so much before you have clearance issues and have to lift stuff up, but still only the tires make for better ground clearance.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.