grinding sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > grinding sound

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

grinding sound

so me and my dad took my jeep over are moutain to the train station.he was driving. we werent driving hard or anything and we had noticed a sort of grinding sound so we looked to see if anything looked like it was grinding so we kept going. i had got in it this morning and its still makeing the sound. i had got an oil change yesterday if that makes a difference. do the diffs take fluid? could it be the tranny not be adjusted to him driving i need help

91wranglerwilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Where did it sound like the grinding was coming from? Yes the diffs take rearend oil.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

it sounds like its coming the transfer case to the front differential
Unread 12-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

it was in 2wd when i noticed . so i put it in 4wd and it was louder
Unread 12-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

could it be i just have to get undernath and grease everything really good?
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

might be a good idea to drain and refill both the transfer and transmission fluids.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

is that difficult cause i am in no way a mechanic i know some more than basic things though so
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

They both have a drain and a fill. Remove the oil drain bolts and fill bolts, after they're drained - replace the drain bolt, and fill with the proper fluid until fluid is level with the fill hole (i.e. you can't get anymore fluid in the fill hole...). You might have the remove the skid. An hand oil pump designed for a quart size makes the job much easier.
Unread 12-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Remove the fill plug first. Dont help a bit if you take the drain plug out first and then cant get the fill plug out.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
Ross_YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had a bit of grinding/front knock recently and it turned out just to be my front shock stabilizer. It was shot and needed replaced. However, I also had my front axle seals recently redone due to gear oil being spit on the driver's side front tire. The seal was bad. Make sure that your gear oil fluid is up to par in your front diff's. If not you get grinding inside the pumpkin from the gears not being lubricated properly. Let this go long enough and you'll need an entire front end rebuild which is pricy. Gear oil is easy to check and the plug is right on the front of your pumpkin between the axles. Just a suggestion...
Ross_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if your not mechanically inclined i would bring it to a mechanic. knowledge and know-how is alot cheaper than mechanics bills though. after this, i would consider heavy research on this forum to learn about the bits and pieces of your jeep. its saved me thousands being able to do repairs and upgrades myself. good luck
Unread 12-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

so i greased the shafts and the u's real good idk if they did anything. i crawled underthe front and where is the drain or fill on the front same question for the back and transfer cas im gonna ask my neighbor who used have the same jeep
Unread 12-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
BlueDanube
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Also, check to see if your front driveshaft happens to be rubbing against your exhaust.

If the exhaust is loose or out of adjustment at all, it doesn't take much for it to start rubbing.
BlueDanube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
91wranglerwilly
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ill look but i tsounds like my tranny is grinding only when you hit the gas while driveing
Unread 01-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
BlueDanube
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's also why I said to check the exhaust. When the engine "torques" under a load, it can shift that pipe over an inch or two, causing it to rub the front shaft. Especially if the shaft itself has rust buildup on it (like most of them do).

I mostly brought this up because I found this on MY Jeep when I first got it. Took me a day or so to finally narrow the noise down to that, and it took that long just for the rust to rub off that section of the front shaft.
BlueDanube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.