grinding on my 1992 jeep wrangler. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > grinding on my 1992 jeep wrangler.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
juangolf
1992 YJ Wrangler 

grinding on my 1992 jeep wrangler.

hey guys, i just bought a 1992 jeep wrangler, for the first week it was fine but then grinding on third gear started, today if i shift from 2nd to 3rd it will grind badly; if i down shift from 4th to 3rd it will grind aswell. also 2nd gear if i roll to a turn in neutral, then shift to 2nd to turn, then most of the time it wount go in.. no grinding , simply it wount go in.. but sometimes it does..
i would like some advice from those of you that have had jeeps and know perhaps what is wrong with the car.. i took it to a mechanic and they say its the synchros in 3rd, maybe 2nd aswell. is this correct?
im planning on having it fix next week, but first would like to know the exact problem.. any ideas? also im in tampa, if anyone knows a good shop that can fix it? ...
so far i double shift from 2nd to 3rd to avoid grinding, it works like a charm but 2nd does not..

thank you guys..
my name is Juan, thank you for your time.

juangolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
yoter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like your syncro's.
yoter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like rebuild time. How many miles on it? What engine size? If its the 4cylinder tranny you might want to consider upgrading to the ax15 of the 6 cylinder.
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
juangolf
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the jeep has 138K , i have the 2.5L 4 cylinder.
what would u guys think is the best solution? rebuild the transmission or what?
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would start by checking the transmission fluid. I would drain it then refill with syncromesh fluid. It can be a bit hard to find so go to a good parts store, not walmart. Drain the tranny and refill. I was having syncro problems with my ax5 when going from 2nd to 3rd. Did this and its not noticable any more. I have a feeling yours is worse than mine though. Still its worth a shot. In the long run you will need to have a rebuild or replace your tranny. You can take it to as shop or there are rebuild kits you can do yourself. I havent rebuilt mine yet, but I have heard its not that hard if you have the time and a little talent. I am sure if you search there is a write up about it somewhere, I know I came across something at one point. Another option is to ditch the relatively weak ax5 for an ax15. I havent looked into this option as much yet, but if mine goes this is what I will be doing. I know at the very least you will need to change the drive shaft(s) and probably the tranny mount and bellhousing possibly. Also I am not sure if the 92 has the external or internal clutch cylinder. That might have to be addressed also. In the end its more work to swap, but a better tranny.
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
juangolf
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok i have bought the syncromesh fluid and the pump to fill the tranny .. i will do this tomorrow.. keep u guys posted with the results.. also i keep hearing this rattleing noise under the car.... i hope is not annything loose in the tranny..
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I dont think it would be anything inside the tranny rattling. While your under there, look at the body mounts, linkages, exhaust mounts, fuel lines, shackles, track bars, sway bar.....basically anything attached to the frame for things that could rattle.
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i saw this thread title, and was suspecting you were cutting stuff up for some cool mods. you know, grinding off this bracket and that tab. cutting and grinding the frame here, you get the drift.

i was dissapointed. lol

good luck with the tranny problem

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
juangolf
1992 YJ Wrangler 

lol.. yea noo, im new to jeeps. i want to do alot of things to it tho, but first i got to fix this tranny problem.. ill post some pictures tomorrow of the tranny oil change..lol
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
juangolf
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 05-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

lol yea i was just kidding. i was thinking that though when i saw it. looks like you have a nice rig to start with. good luck

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Do the fluids first no doubt. Keep us posted, that's an interesting jeep!
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.