Grinding Gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Grinding Gears

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-26-2002, 06:07 PM   #1
BrandonParvin

Grinding Gears

When i bought my jeep, 2nd gear was grinding. Now All gears are grinding. I have had my jeep for just a little over a year. Also when i come to a stop, sometimes i have a lot of trouble putting it into 1st gear. If anybody has any clue please let me know. Thx

3in Performance Accessories Body Lift
BrandonParvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2002, 06:10 PM   #2
evilpsych

sounds like your hydraulic throwout bearing is starting to go.. have the lines bled and refilled with clean hydraulic fluid and that should fix your prob.. i had the same prob.. that fixed it..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2002, 06:36 PM   #3
BrandonParvin

Do you know of anybody that has a little how to on it?? If so i can get crackin on it tonite.
Unread 02-27-2002, 04:48 PM   #4
Zack Ford

I've had the same problem with my jeep about 4 or 5 months after i got it. I've drove with it like that for about 40,000 miles though i just had to let my Rpm's drop then put it in gear so it wouldn't grind. About a week ago i had my Transmission fluid drained and a synchronizer tooth fell came out w/the fluid. I'm afraid it's your synchro's and the only thing you can do is have the tranny tore down and worked on. Everybody told me it was my synchro's and they were right.
Unread 02-27-2002, 05:01 PM   #5
BrandonParvin

Damn. Well i am going to try the hydraulic throwout bearing deal first, seems to me that it would be a lot cheaper. If that doesnt work, then it is my synchros which it better not be. Well thx for the help man.
Unread 02-27-2002, 10:47 PM   #6
Chumpbusta

It's the synchronizers! Almost guarantee it without even seeing it. jeep makes all their out of brass...they wear easy. I have replaced them before, and now I just swap the whole transmission...MUCh easier! I know its not u wanted to hear, but thats the story. Mine went out the same way...first a grind, then it gets tuff to put it in one gear, then a few of the gears, the after awhile it just goes period! Sucks. I got a recon tranny Ax-15 from www.phoenixhardparts.com. it was a good deal, but I haven't gotten my core deposit back yet...we'll see how that pans out. Good Luck!
Warn XDi9000 winch, full spray in liner
and all the doodads you need to do it right!
Chumpbusta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.