Grinding coming from dana35, overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Grinding coming from dana35, overheating

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
navis
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Grinding coming from dana35, overheating

Sorry if this post is a little sloppy, it is 2am and i have been up for almost 24hrs. For a while the rear dana 35 on my jeep has been leaking. so tonight i took the cover off, wire wheeled the gasket surface, cleaned the inside of the dif with parts wash, applied gasket maker, replaced cover and filled with oil. about 2km down the road i heard a loud bang and immediately pulled over. It now makes an extreme grinding noise to the point where it was almost unbearable to push it 50 feet down the road. The pinion was too hot to touch, and even the rear u-joint was steaming. I pulled the cover again and inspected the inside. form what i could see there was no visable damage to any of the gears. There are gale force winds, pouring rain, and nearly freezing temperatures right now, combined with working in the dark i decided to wait until morning. Where to start? :s

navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would pull the rear drive shaft and put the rear axle up on jackstands and try to turn the pinion by hand. Pull the cover off and again and maybe pull the carrier. That will tell you a lot. Sounds like the pinion bearings might be toast causing the gears to grind and not mesh well.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
nj95yj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yea pull the cover and check things out
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by navis View Post
... I pulled the cover again and inspected the inside. form what i could see there was no visable damage to any of the gears. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj95yj View Post
yea pull the cover and check things out
Nice

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
planedog
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it wasn't grinding or getting hot before I would suspect some of the wire or debris from cleaning the gasket surface got into the differential. The ring will throw the gear oil and anything in it into the top of the pinion bearings where it will stay until it is ground small enough to come out the bottom of the bearings.

Sound like it may be time to get an 8.8!
planedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
navis
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't get a chance to get too much done today. I loaded the jeep on a flatdeck and brought it home to the shop. It's all up on jackstands now with the tires off and the driveshaft out. I removed the diff cover and removed the main pinion nut securing the yoke. Using a bearing puller and torquing on it with a 3/8 ratchet and 3' handle extension the yoke will still not come off. I had it off a few months ago when the driveshaft blew. Why isn't it comming off??? The puller is actully cutting metal out of the center of the pinion shaft, that's how hard it is pulling.

I am lost and up for ideas. How reasonable is it to rebuild the diff having never done it before? Is it something an average person willing to listen/learn can do in an afternoon?
Thanks again!
navis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.