grinding! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > grinding!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

grinding!

Serious issue. I believe it's the transfer case. It all started with a leak. I believe the leak is coming from the transfer. Now it seams to be pouring from the transfer. Pooling up on the skid plate. On top of that, there is a grind during acceleration. Typically in harder acceleration. It's a low frequency metallic grind. I can't hear it while at a higher rate of speed due to road noise. I suspect the chain is shot. I don't think it's the tranny (32rh), although it takes a good amount of time to get moving in reverse if not driven in a day or two. I suspect fluid pump. If anyone on here can help, I will hunt down a magical platypus too grant you 4 wishes. Trust me, that's a big deal.

Unread 07-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Open the fill plug on the tcase & check the fluid level - after that, check the tranny fluid level too.

Whichever one is low, that's probably the culprit of the leak & go from there.

If it were me, I'd take the 10 minutes & drop the skid to take a closer look.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I filled the transfer last week. I don't have the time to drop the skid. All of my tools are at the shop at work. I've spent all weekend moving my wife and our household across the country. Just trying to be pointed in the right direction. I also have less time to work on my yj being that my wife is 7 months pregnant. Looks like I'm taking the truck to work. Bummer. Haha.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.