Gremlin under dashboard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gremlin under dashboard

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Gremlin under dashboard

There is someone.. or something that's having fun draining my battery to zero, even when the key is not on the contact. Now I suspect a gremlin to be the cause of this, but it might be something much worse, much more ancient, much more scary.. Or hell it might just be a bad contact or something that went rusty. Is there a common cause, a connector that is prone to rust on YJs and cause the battery to drain itself? Are missing ground points a possible cause?

Battery, distributor cap and rotor are new. I'm going to change the alternator soon.

Dash lights are all dead, BUT the two little arrows for shifting up or down. Gauges function properly. Exterior lights all function properly, but when I give it a lotta gas when on park, i noticed the brake lights dim a little, but that might be normal.

I'm gonna have to get under there anyways, but I don't know anything 'bout electric systems, so any tips, anything that helps or makes me laugh would be great!

TheBootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
MikeHoncho88
Desert Rat

2013 JK Wrangler 

A systematic approach and a multimeter are your friends here.

Measure current at the battery with the key off. Remove fuses one at a time until a noticeable drop occurs. That is the circuit you need to check. Again a systematic approach is best. Disconnect items on that circuit one by one until the current drops again.

This method has never failed me.

MikeHoncho88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man! I found one of the gremlins, the one that was draining my battery. The PO had wired rock lights in a very bad way.. lol I'm gonna use your method to find whats wrong under the dash, by current you mean Voltage right? Not amps?
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
MikeHoncho88
Desert Rat

2013 JK Wrangler 

Awesome you fixed the battery drain. Yes if you use a multimeter for that problem, you need to measure amps aka current.
MikeHoncho88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you have a gremlin please make sure your cowl seal is good and remember these 3 rules :
1. No bright light, Bright light hurts him, and sunlight can kill him.
2. Don't get him wet, If he gets wet, he pops out more mogwais.
3. Never feed him after midnight, no matter how much he begs. If fed after midnight, a mogwai will spin a cocoon and undergo metamorphosis, turning into a wicked, troublemaking gremlin.

Unread 11-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You are honestly the best mod on this forum!
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
90lsturbo
scratches add character..

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
If you have a gremlin please make sure your cowl seal is good and remember these 3 rules :
1. No bright light, Bright light hurts him, and sunlight can kill him.
2. Don't get him wet, If he gets wet, he pops out more mogwais.
3. Never feed him after midnight, no matter how much he begs. If fed after midnight, a mogwai will spin a cocoon and undergo metamorphosis, turning into a wicked, troublemaking gremlin.

so much win right here lol
1984 cj7- new rig and no rust lol

#89 UJC
"Real men dont let their friends drive prius's"
90lsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Right on. Now I know how to kill the basterds. They can run, but they can't hide. I'm gonna ride with no hood until they all burn to death! Mouhahahahaha (maniacal laugh)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.