great! More AX5 Clutch problems!!!!! hooray for internal clutch slave cylinders! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > great! More AX5 Clutch problems!!!!! hooray for internal clutch slave cylinders!

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

great! More AX5 Clutch problems!!!!! hooray for internal clutch slave cylinders!

so i just replaced my clutch and slave cylinder a little while back and now... i'm having problems AGAIN

It did great for the first month or so...

Now, after driving for a couple days my clutch has almost no pressure. It feels like it's almost out of fluid, has air in the lines, or SOMETHING.

Check the fluid..... still about full (i'm bad about filling to the line exactly but it looks to be about the same level as I left it when i last bled the system and filled the resevoir).

I loosen up the bleeder screw at the bellhousing and let the fluid run out.... gravity pulls it out and as it does, I am refilling the resevoir.

After i let about 2 resevoirs worth of fluid run out i run around the jeep, dive under it, and tighten up the bleeder screw.

Then i top off the fluid in the resevoir....

She's good to go for a couple days... then it's at it again... low pedal, crappy pressure.... not good.

REPEAT

good for a couple/few days... then REPEAT.

has anyone ever had a problem like this before? I don't see any leaks... I don't think it's leaking... but it could be a slow leak i suppose..... BUT even with a slow leak, the clutch should work fine if there is fluid in the resevoir.... or at least when my old clutch slave cylinder was leaking that was the case.

What do you guys with experience in this area think?

I hate to think that I have to drop the tranny/tcase AGAIN... though my rear main seal, which i replaced when i did the clutch, appears to be leaking kinda hard to tell since i have so many oil leaks (dipstick tube mainly, but it's bad)

what are your opinions guys?

-Erik <---- really really sick of bleeding the clutch every few days

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try bleeding it again with someone pumping the pedal. I know gravity bleeding should work but I think you need some pressure there to force the air out. I know internal slave sucks!!!
Unread 04-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'll give that a try tomorrow at work.... don't have anyone where i'm staying while on this job site which is why i've relied on gravity bleeding it so far. HOPEFULLY that will do the trick, but i'm doubtful since THEORETICALLY, gravity bleeding should do the trick... or so i thought.
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
rynouncw
2000 WJ 

Probably your clutch MASTER cylinder...if the seals go bad in it, it will suck air in through the seals, but the fluid level in the reservoir will not change much, if at all. MUCH easier fix than slave!!

Usually if you're not losing fluid in the reservoir it's the master cylinder, if you are losing fluid, it's either a leaking line or a bad slave cylinder.

Good Luck!!
rynouncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynouncw View Post
Probably your clutch MASTER cylinder...if the seals go bad in it, it will suck air in through the seals, but the fluid level in the reservoir will not change much, if at all. MUCH easier fix than slave!!

Usually if you're not losing fluid in the reservoir it's the master cylinder, if you are losing fluid, it's either a leaking line or a bad slave cylinder.

Good Luck!!
i'd bet he's figured it out after about 16 months

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02 View Post
i'd bet he's figured it out after about 16 months
And two motor swaps, not to mention a new rig.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
rynouncw
2000 WJ 

I sure hope so!!
rynouncw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.