Grant Steering Wheel Security Option - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Grant Steering Wheel Security Option

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
EasyE
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Grant Steering Wheel Security Option

I need some advise. I am considering putting a Grant steering wheel and security kit on the YJ. I am concerned with how quickly and easily the wheel can be put on and removed with the security kit. I really don't want the wife to struggle getting the wheel off or on. Murphy's law says I will get a frantic phone call telling me she is stranded somewhere if the kit is the least bit touchy. I am not referring to the initial installation of the wheel and wheel kit, but practical removal and installation of the wheel after the system has been installed. The "no wheel no steal" option is pricey at $150. So I'm hoping to get some views, opinions, and experience from ya'll before dropping the bread on a potential waste of money or pain in my behind.

EasyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you considered just doing a sort of kill switch?

A common one, if you don't use the cigarette lighter for anything, is have it required to be pushed in to make it carry the current to activate the starter.

Also, RFID readers and such are pretty cool.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

I've had one on my rig for four years now. Works flawlessly and very easily. I've had several girls drive my rig and all have used the system with no problems or trouble.

Worth every penny. I never worry about the rig not being there when I come look for it.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am also considering to get the Grant security system. Right now, it is very very very easy to steal. I will be very heartbroken and extremely angry if my YJ is gone in the morning. That and some kill switch will be nice to have and don't have to worry much about it.
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Gurrenteed555
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've had 2 over the years... (Still have one of them sitting in my garage)
They are very easy to remove and reinstall, a child could do it.. Even the key is idiot-proof with labeling that tells you when you have it in the locked or unlocked position.
I have two complaints with this system and they are the reason it is still not installed on my jeep:

1. Factory steering wheel sat about 6 inches closer to the dash. Its slightly awkward having the new steering wheel so much closer with the grant installation kit and the security kit both installed. Just make sure you think about that and how close that may put your wife to the steering wheel. It may make it unsafe for her if shes like my wife and sits as close as possible to the dash.

2. It seems to loosen up over time and wiggle/wobble. It has a slight front to back wobble all the way around. I called grant and they said there was no way to adjust or fix it. After it happened to the second one, I decided to ditch the whole idea.

At some point, I will be installing an ignition kill switch. Good luck.
Gurrenteed555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have one in my old Jeep (it was there when I bought it)

It works ok, is not hard to remove, but I see no real point to it. And if you remove it when you're parked somewhere away from home you need to put it some place or carry it with you. A 'club' type lock is cheaper and more sensible in my opinion Also a kill switch as someone suggested.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
EasyE
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, it seemed like a good idea. I guess I will go with a hidden kill switch. I have a "club" device for it, but I have seen videos where thieves just bend the wheel or clutch / brake pedal, or saw the thing off. And the kill switch is good too, but given enough time, those can be found and bypassed.

I just imagined that a thief seeing a missing steering wheel would not even begin to try to steal the jeep without a towtruck.

Thanks
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yeah but it also give thief a option of vandalizing your jeep rather than stealing it.

I am really debating with myself for this very reason. I don't want my jeep to be stolen nor vandalized. I guess I can't have everything.
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
EasyE
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinothPro View Post
yeah but it also give thief a option of vandalizing your jeep rather than stealing it.

I am really debating with myself for this very reason. I don't want my jeep to be stolen nor vandalized. I guess I can't have everything.
Fortunately where I live vandalism is rare, except for gilted X's with psych issues. In fact, driving an American car is rare where I live. It mostly Toys and Hondas, with a scattering of german trophy cars. Sad, but true. Jeeps stand out like rednecks at an opera. Especially Wranglers. And the locals have no interest in American products, nor do they understand the whole jeeping thing. These are the people that put Obama in office. Anyway, it's the out-of-the-area car thieves that concern me. And the ability to remove the steering wheel my just be the cure.

My analysis is still in process. The more I think about it, the more I think the steering wheel removal kit along with a kill switch is the way to go. Positive posts on here regarding ease of use of the kit has me thinkin about it still.
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would also like to here from some others who are running this Grant combo

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.