Grand Cherokee guy looking at a project YJ seeking help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Grand Cherokee guy looking at a project YJ seeking help.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 09-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
MiZZ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Grand Cherokee guy looking at a project YJ seeking help.

Hey fellas,
I've been a regular on the cherokee section but first post over here, Just wondering if you guys can help me out so I don't make a bad deal. Long story short I've always wanted a Wrangler but haven't found one at a good enough price/condition to make it my winter project. However, Today I was looking on craigslist and found someone with a 1990 Wrangler 4 cylinder, 5-speed manual that he's looking to trade for a nice ATV, I happen to have a few ATVs and wouldn't mind trading one for a Wrangler, Just so long as I'm not getting a bad deal.

Only spoke to the guy briefly but I guess it needs a starter and the Jeep makes a grinding noise when switching into gears, He said he was told it's either a clutch or bad fluid but it sounds like a bad tranny to me. I don't know anything about the 4cyl/5spd Jeeps, I'm a 4.0 i6 guy. So any advice on this is great. My ATV is a 2002 Suzuki quadrunner 500cc 4x4 utility w/ warn winch, tow hitch, racks etc It's a nice machine. It's worth around $3k, I don't mind trading for a Jeep worth a little less just so long as I'm not digging myself a hole here.

Anyone have any references to sites or info about how difficult a full tranny swap would be in this kind of Jeep? I've done a few RWD tranny swaps but never a 4x4 vehicle. And anything else I should look for on this Jeep before considering a trade? I don't want to jump the gun and loose out on this deal! I don't mind keeping my ATV, but I wouldn't mind a winter project either.

Thanks for reading,
-Mike

p.s. I know how everyone likes pictures of the item in question, here's a pic he sent me.. It does come with doors & a soft top.

2wrangler.jpg  

Ocean State Jeepsters
MiZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The 4cyl doesn't have much power so depending on tire size you'll have to regear right off the bat. But it'll run forever if you take care of it.

As for the transmission, it could be any/all of what you said. Bad syncs is my guess. You could probably rebuild it yourself with a thread from MeanMax. My guess is it's the Ax-15 with internal slave.

You'll want to check the frame for rust. Take a screwdriver and poke around near the spring mounts and cross members. Lift up the carpets in by the driver/passenger floor pans. Those are the common rust areas for YJs
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love my stock 95 YJ 4cyl 5 speed but it has no power on the street. My 01 Nissan altima 4banger runs like a street rod compared to it. lol.

Offroad power is ok because I can go to 4L if I need to.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
The 4cyl doesn't have much power so depending on tire size you'll have to regear right off the bat. But it'll run forever if you take care of it.

As for the transmission, it could be any/all of what you said. Bad syncs is my guess. You could probably rebuild it yourself with a thread from MeanMax. My guess is it's the Ax-15 with internal slave.

You'll want to check the frame for rust. Take a screwdriver and poke around near the spring mounts and cross members. Lift up the carpets in by the driver/passenger floor pans. Those are the common rust areas for YJs
This is about the best answer you will get ^^^^^

YJ`s are easy to work on and even something as major as a transmission repair is not that difficult.Plus there is a plenty of information online to help you out.

Going out on a limb here. I THINK but could be dead wrong on this as 90 was a changeover year.

The 2.5 engine is OBD 1 controlled. Meaning that if you wanted to swap a 4.0 all you would need to do add the injector wires for the two extra cylinders. YJ or even XJ 4.0 ECM`s are common and cheap.

Frame mounts for the engine and that is about it.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The 2.5 was OBD1, but I'm not sure on what you'll need to do to swap it out. What's your plan for it if you get it? If you plan on doing an engine swap it'll be cheaper and easier just to swap in a whole new trans and TC to match the engine since your trans is shot (sounds like the syncs to me) but you could easily rebuild the trans yourself, just take your time and double check it. But tell us what you plan on doing as a winter project, would you lift it, what tire sizes you want, daily driver or weekend warrior, and what kind of wheeling do you plan on doing if any? All of this is the first answers you have to put into a project and then see how much it's going to take to get the Jeep the way it sits to the way you want it to sit.
Unread 09-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The main thing is that it has a decent body and a good frame, any mechanical parts can be easily swapped out and is part of the fun of the jeep hobby. With the 4 cylinder, chances are it's a clutch problem, like the master cylinder or slave cylinder, or something. The 2.5 is a good strong power plant and will climb tree's in low range. It's not a bad engine at all with a manual tranny. A good combo with the 2.5 is 4:56 gears and 31" tires. Before worring about upgrades, I would just wheel it and enjoy it for awhile, then go from there.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post

The 4-banger had the AX-5, not the AX-15. As stated, check the frame rails and floor pans under carpeting for rust. Look closely around leaf spring frame connections and the steering gear box. Being a 4.0 guy you could always swap in a 4.0 and AX-15 easily enough. It's common upgrade.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
MiZZ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys thanks for the great replies! Sorry I haven't replied sooner I haven't been on the computer in a few weeks.

Turned out the Jeep needs a little more work then I felt I could tackle, The body/floors/frame are fine (for a North East vehicle) everything is apart on it and the starter was dead so I couldn't hear it run which was shady.. I made the owner a cash offer because it hurt me to see it sitting there like that but he said he wants to hold off to see what other offers he gets (I have a feeling he'll be calling me back, Unless he gets that starter fixed at least). I've decided that when I get my X-mas bonus at work this year I'm going to put it towards a Wrangler in a little bit better shape, Something I can drive home!

Thanks so much for the support guys and it wasn't wasted, I took in everything you guys said and will put it into use when I check out the next Wrangler... If all goes well then by January I'll be a regular on this side of the forums!

Thanks again fellas.
-Mike

Ocean State Jeepsters
MiZZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.