Gotta question as a new member - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gotta question as a new member

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
1989YJNebraska

Gotta question as a new member

Fellow Jeepers,

I have a quick question about an engine swap into a 89 YJ. I know, you're probably saying, not another engine swap question, but it's hopefully not one you've heard before. I can get a hold of a 93 Bronco with the 5.8L V8 engine with 100,000 miles for $2000. I don't think I can pass this up seeing that I can use the axles as well. I've done alot of research on this, and unfortunately, I can't find anything specific to the late model Bronco/Jeep engine swap. My question is as follows: Has anyone ever heard/seen/done this swap before and how does someone go about doing it? Also, am I just looking for trouble? Any info you have, please pass it along, I would greatly appreciate any help provided.
I look forward to participating on this forum in the future. Thanks again.

Tom Mooney

1989 YJ/2004 TJ

1989YJNebraska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
BeatAChevy289

I havent heard of the 5.8L swap myself but if a 350 can fit in I would assume that would to. The actual displacement of that engine is 353 cu. in. so it should be pretty close in size. The only thing you'd have to worry about is the actualy engine mass as compared to a 350. With a 350 in a YJ engine compartment it can get a little cramped. There is far more stuff available for a 350 though. You can buy everything from the engine mounts to bolt it right in all the way to a loom that can be fabbed into your existing harness to keep your stock gauges and whatnot. I would say go ahead and buy the Bronco for $2000 and either turn around and sell it or part it out and throw it all the stuff on eBay. I'm sure the swap COULD be done but getting a set of headers to fit in there is an issue in itself, as well as the height and width of the engine. The only axle you could use off the Bronco is the rear since those have been IFS sine the late 80's I believe. Let us know what you decide. Later <><
1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
BeatAChevy289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
Loopmd

Welcome to the club. I don't have an answer for you, just was wondering where abouts in Nebraska are you from?
[COLOR=DarkRed]Redneck Jeep Club Member #30[/COLOR]

'92 stock YJ
4.0 L
Loopmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
1989YJNebraska

I'm stationed at Offutt, living in Bellevue.
Unread 12-01-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
jeepnguns

I have heard that he ford 351 has issues with the heads/exhaust manifolds. teh heads are taller and farther apart than a 302 so routing the exhaust between the frame rails is difficult. Novak adaptors has good info on engine swaps. check them out. I ended up doing a 350 swap because it was the first good cheap engine I found. The bronco axles are wider then the stock jeep ones by quite a bit and the front is twin I beam. along with a 5on 5.5 bolt pat. An option that I never found was an explorer with the 5.0 and 8.8 rear end, i never found one though. good luck swaping
Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
jeepnguns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
1989YJNebraska

Only 2 people have input on this question? I appreciate those that responded. I hope I won't have a problem with the headers. I've seen a Viper engine in a TJ, so I would imagine, with anything, you can fit it in there. Thanks for giving me info on the front axle. I knew it was a D44, but I didn't know what kind it was. Do you think it would be a problem running the stock D30, with the 8.8 in the rear? Thanks again.
Unread 12-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #7
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

I wouldnt pay $2k for a 100k mile motor. And also its 351ci, not 353ci

Other than the motor being slightly taller than a 302, its more or less the same swap. All the accesories from a 302 would work also. I think the D44 found in that year Bronco is the twin I beam one. I wouldnt waste my time with that either.

I would suggest swapping in some stronger axle shafts with larger u-joints if you stay with the D30.
Unread 12-02-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
BeatAChevy289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious
I wouldnt pay $2k for a 100k mile motor. And also its 351ci, not 353ci

Other than the motor being slightly taller than a 302, its more or less the same swap. All the accesories from a 302 would work also. I think the D44 found in that year Bronco is the twin I beam one. I wouldnt waste my time with that either.

I would suggest swapping in some stronger axle shafts with larger u-joints if you stay with the D30.
That Viper-engined TJ also cost $100,000 to build...if you are looking to buy a $2000 Bronco as a donor, I don't see that a whole bunch of custom mods are in the budget .

Oh, and Devious. No disrespect to a mod or anything, but the formula to convert engine Liters to Cubic Inches of 61. Meaning if it is a 5.8L, you use this formula: 5.8x61=353.8 I know that Ford markets that as a 351Windsor or Cleveland (depends on how old it is) but nothing is ever as it seems with an engine. Some may say my formula is wrong, but if so the auto tech textbooks are wrong too. I've got an ASE book in front of me with a reference to that formula. Title of the book is "Modern Automotive Technology" and its a good 3 inches thick. I use this as my reference before I make a bad comment. Nothing but love though. Later <><
1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
BeatAChevy289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #9
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAChevy289

Oh, and Devious. No disrespect to a mod or anything, but the formula to convert engine Liters to Cubic Inches of 61. Meaning if it is a 5.8L, you use this formula: 5.8x61=353.8 I know that Ford markets that as a 351Windsor or Cleveland (depends on how old it is) but nothing is ever as it seems with an engine. Some may say my formula is wrong, but if so the auto tech textbooks are wrong too. I've got an ASE book in front of me with a reference to that formula. Title of the book is "Modern Automotive Technology" and its a good 3 inches thick. I use this as my reference before I make a bad comment. Nothing but love though. Later <><

I wouldnt call it disrespect. I would call it mis-informed on my part.
I've always wondered what formula they used. Thanks for clearing that up

I still wouldnt pay $2k though
Unread 12-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #10
sjlplat

I think $2k is a bit much too. You can find better deals on rebuilt engines. I've got about $1200 in my 360, minus the cam and timing gearset (I still need to order those). It's a fresh rebuild with brand new parts, and all machine work was done by a reputable shop. Mopar engines are generally a little more pricey to build than Ford or Chevy, so I'd bet you can find a better deal on a rebuilt engine, or even rebuild one yourself.
sjlplat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2004, 08:29 AM   #11
jeepnguns

To be corect a ford 5.8 liter is a 351 actually coser to a 352. the bore is 4" stroke is 3.5" volume of a cylinder is Pi*r(squared)*h. r=2" h=3.5" each cylinder is 43.98 eight cylinders = 351.8. Man i had not done that much math in a long time. Just remember that a chevy 5.0 is a 305 with a ford 5.0 is a 302. there is some room in the liter measurement. I have not done that much math in a while.
Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
jeepnguns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2004, 11:50 PM   #12
1989YJNebraska

So you're all saying that spending $2K on a running Bronco, with a 5.8L engine, isn't worth it? Yeah, it's going to be "fun" getting it in to the YJ, but to spend that kind of money, and get the complete drivetrain, wiring, and rear axle is worth it, in my opinion. Plus, there's a huge market for Bronco parts, that I will be able to make some of that money back from parting it out.
It will be a one-of-a-kind jeep once I get it in there.
Unread 12-04-2004, 08:18 AM   #13
sjlplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989YJNebraska
So you're all saying that spending $2K on a running Bronco, with a 5.8L engine, isn't worth it? Yeah, it's going to be "fun" getting it in to the YJ, but to spend that kind of money, and get the complete drivetrain, wiring, and rear axle is worth it, in my opinion. Plus, there's a huge market for Bronco parts, that I will be able to make some of that money back from parting it out.
It will be a one-of-a-kind jeep once I get it in there.
I don't think it's worth it if your intentions are to build a YJ. You can find better parts for cheaper.
sjlplat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.