Gotta get rid of this computer! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Gotta get rid of this computer!

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
jcarr74015
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Gotta get rid of this computer!

Having major issues with engine performance! Just traded for the YJ and the PO rebuilt the engine his self, could not get it to run right and gave up.

So I've checked the timing, TDC #1 valves closed on #1 etc. Engine will run but misses and from the look of the plugs its running rich. Been reading lots of threads but not finding anything that has helped. This is my first 4 cyl Jeep and not real up to speed on them, but i have found that this engine configuration was used only in 87 and 88 year models. As it is a TBI system I'm ready to jerk the TB and electronic ingition and go old school, but I've yet to find any write ups on this mod.

I'm sure someone has done this before. I have a Motorcraft version of the webber carb i could rebuild and use, if it will work on the 2.5l, provided i can get someone to point me in the direction of which dizzy to use.

I've read about the brain surgery thing and from what I've read i don't think it applies to the setup in my YJ.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

jcarr74015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

The TBI is almost too simple to work on and get to running perfect. You need to start out with a good understanding of it and then check simple things like , compression, weather the timing is set correctly, if there is enough fuel pressure.
Again its TOOOOOOOO simple.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Timing on the 2.5 is set by ecu at 8 degrees BTC. If it is running rich it could be several things. Tstat 195 should have operating temp at 210. O2 sensor , temp sensor for air and water on intake. TPS on throttle body, map sensor on firewall. Leaking vacuum lines. All players because they talk to ecu which decides fuel air mixture and timing.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
jcarr74015
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm fimiliar with all the componets, just not having any luck at cleaning up the PO's mess!

I found the temp gauge wire loose under the hood and can't find a temp sended anywhere.

ISM is not connected and appears to have had a hammer taken to it!

Most vacuum lines appear in-tact but I've not sprayed them down to see if i get an RPM increase.

Here's a posser shot after i got it running a little bit last evening.

Considering that I have less than $2000 cash invested in this, I feel I'm doing okay for now.

Maybe I'll put a ISM in it and change out the t-stat and existing senders and replace those that are missing and see how she runs.

I like the FI , but i hate the headsches when it comes to cleaning up someone elses FI mess!

You should see the mess they made of the 3" body lift!
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fortunately my PO did nothing but drive it. No butchered wires no mechanical who ha at all and n o real rust as those from back east show us. So mine was really easy to work on. If you need anything post it up we have the answers I chased all mine trying to pass a NV smog so I got really good at all that crap that talks to the computer to fix the timing and mixture. Found all my answers here in mutiple threads.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For a split second I imagined your jeep had a jet engine.... then I realized it was only a rim...
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
jcarr74015
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I only wish it was turbine powered. Then I could combine two of my hobbies off roading and flying. I haven't worked on a gasoline injection system in years, been working on diesel injection systems for the last 10-15 yrs and I gotta get myself back in that swing. I was working as a Chrysler mechanic before I got out of high school. Then about 5 yrs outta HS I started working on heavy equip. And now I must retrain to work on little stuff again.
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Or you could get rid of the hamster wheel and drop a diesel in your Jeep!
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
jcarr74015
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Some how I don't see a c13 cat fitting under the hood of a YJ.
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
jcarr74015
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Brought home fuel pressure gauge and a few other tools that for some reason I've not used in 10 plus years and will try and see what I find this weekend.
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
jcarr74015
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This morning i found the O2 sensor unplugged and still no luck finding the temp sensor.no place to just connect the fuel pressure guage so i'll have to install a tee to get fuel pressure.

On the other hand I have no fire this morning???

I have power to the igniter and I cleaned the connections and grounds and still no fire. to make things worse no one in town has either piece! Is there an aftermarket that will work in place of OEM ignition?
Unread 12-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

there should be a fitting on the fuel line to the TBI to install the pressure gage.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
jcarr74015
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok maybe i've been away from the fuel injected gassers for to long, but then again this jeep dates back before i started working in the car dealerships.

There's no wires coming out of the dizzy? In the chiltons manual I find where the engine should have a sensor on a trigger wheel mounted to the flywheel. guess i try and find a crank sensor first, it will likely be less expensive than the coil and igniter.
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Jeepsr4me

what is a igniter in relation to a jeep?
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
jcarr74015
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry the guy at O'Reilly's called it that. It's the module under the coil. Maybe the ignition control module. Sorry I'm still retraining myself to get back to gasser terms and not oil burner terms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.