got me a roll cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > got me a roll cage

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

got me a roll cage

finally!!! junkyard finally had a family style roll cage for my yj. and, how lucky am i, its black and minty. had new bestop covers till it wrecked. i even found a complete soft top with parts on another wrenched yj.

anyways, now my sports cage will be waiting for brock, another of our members, to come pick it up for his jeep.

photo.jpg  
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! Sounds like your local junk yard has a decent selection of YJs from which to salvage parts; wish that were the same up here in north Texas...
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jet FYI, that's not a roll cage. That's a roll bar. And by itself isn't gonna help you too much in a roll
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Jet FYI, that's not a roll cage. That's a roll bar. And by itself isn't gonna help you too much in a roll
KILLJOY...

SUPERJ...How much did you give for the rollbar?
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It will help in a roll, a stock cage is strong enough to hold the ENTIRE weight of the vehicle. It may not last long for continuous roll overs like an aftermarket. But for one or two rolls it will be fine. It certianly isn't ment for Moab rock crawling, but for some light wheeling it will be fine.
Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin89Sahara View Post
It will help in a roll, a stock cage is strong enough to hold the ENTIRE weight of the vehicle. It may not last long for continuous roll overs like an aftermarket. But for one or two rolls it will be fine. It certianly isn't ment for Moab rock crawling, but for some light wheeling it will be fine.
Exactly! I'm not going to get into this whole discusion but 90% of the jeeps on here arent used in Moab rock crawling but light wheeling on the weekends and adventurouse "short cuts" on the way home from work...the stock cage or roll bar is enough for the average jeep in the world. As for the whole no it's a bar, no it's a cage, it's all the same in my book, it does one simple thing, stops you from getting your melon crushed.
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not trying to be a killjoy. Just simply stating the difference. The factory roll bar is just that, a roll bar. NOT a roll CAGE. A roll bar will not do much to help you in a hard roll. It definitely won't survive more than one either. And you don't have to wheel in the rocks or in Moab to roll hard. I've seen some nasty ones in my day on everything from mild trails, to desert, to that crazy Moab rock crawling. Personally I wouldnt peg my life or the lives of my passengers on a factory roll bar. That's why I built a real cage in my YJ
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cage or Bar it serves the same basic priniclpe, to protect the occupants. I have seen videos of stock BARed Jeeps flip 5 times down the side of a mountain and the occupant walked out alive. And if you look up the terraflex prerunner crash, that Jeep had a stock BAR as well. Will a stock bar save the jeep from damage? Well no. Will a stock bar protect the occupants? Yes because thats what it's intended use is for.
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin89Sahara View Post
Cage or Bar it serves the same basic priniclpe, to protect the occupants. I have seen videos of stock BARed Jeeps flip 5 times down the side of a mountain and the occupant walked out alive. And if you look up the terraflex prerunner crash, that Jeep had a stock BAR as well. Will a stock bar save the jeep from damage? Well no. Will a stock bar protect the occupants? Yes because thats what it's intended use is for.
Correcto!
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have acutally thought about putting the family bar in my jeep as well. It is an upgrade from the sport bar IMHO, if I ever need more then I would look into maybe more bracer bars. But honestly I wouldn't go overkill for something that I did need. And sure superj can add harnesses to keep him in IF he rolls, because after all what good is roll over protection when you have the chance to fall out if you aren't buckled in?
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used them both and made this.....

still working on the front upgrade...... its a bit harder....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Why's everyone fighting over the it's a cage, no it's a bar thing. He got a great find and it's an upgrade, that's all that matters, and all that any of us are here for, to mod and upgrade our jeeps. Great find! Wish the junk yard around here had a YJ or two in them.
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

not trying to argue. just trying to straighten out the terminology being used. Too many newbies read these forums to be slinging terms around improperly. Yes it was a great find and yes I agree YJs are impossible to find in the junkyards. The factory roll bar is a decent base to build off of and many companies offer add on kits for them. I myself just installed the Blue Torch Fabworks front cage addition kit and added more DOM to it and to the factory roll bar to beef it up. The factory roll bar is OK, it was just never designed or intended as a full on roll cage. it suffers from a severe lack of triangulation and re-enforcement in key areas to really be considered or classified as a roll cage. In fact I guarantee no race sanctioning bodies would let it pass tech. Not saying everyone is gonna run King of the Hammers or anything, just proving that most sanctioning bodies wouldn't classify it as a true roll cage
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
not trying to argue. just trying to straighten out the terminology being used.
Exactly.

The above poster that I quoted is NOT trying to agrue. He's simply doing what he said and in the long run, hopefully reduces the wrong use of terms.

Nuff said.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Not trying to be a killjoy. Just simply stating the difference. The factory roll bar is just that, a roll bar. NOT a roll CAGE. A roll bar will not do much to help you in a hard roll. It definitely won't survive more than one either. And you don't have to wheel in the rocks or in Moab to roll hard. I've seen some nasty ones in my day on everything from mild trails, to desert, to that crazy Moab rock crawling. Personally I wouldnt peg my life or the lives of my passengers on a factory roll bar. That's why I built a real cage in my YJ
I'm also not arguing because I see your point of view completly. In my opinion a real cage is like on a dragster tied into the FRAME. The guy may or may not crawl but he was exciteded enough to post his good find. Heck he may only want it cause it looks better than the sports bar. Who knows. No hard feelings over the killjoy I hope.

I would like all to check this out on youtube though..It has a factory family rollbar set up.BELIEVE it or not they lived!..

Jeep crash in Moab - Heavy Metal Version

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.