This got me puzzled !! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > This got me puzzled !!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This got me puzzled !!

92 yj 4.0

Here's what happening .... It runs a little ruff and seems under power most the time but on few occasions after leaving house it will spit and sputter ( but for the good ) every time it spits or sputters it actually picks up power so I will just hold third gear till it works it self out and then it runs great ! Idles around 1300 ( cuz i got the idle set for the way it normally runs and then it idles around 800 or so) Also can cruise around in fourth gear picking up speed just fine (way it normally runs i in and out 4th gear)Now this has only happened 3 or 4 times. any other day i just drive around and it is it's same sluggish self. But here's the kicker..... today I realized the times it spits and sputters are the days the battery is dead and either have to charge it up or jump it off. So here's my question Could it be anything to do with the battery dieing and resetting the computer that will make it do this ?? Or just plain coincidence ??

sahara92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yj's don't like a weak battery...
Yes when you reset the computer it has to relearn your driving so until it does it runs on factory presets
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
95yj0645
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The very first thing I would do is check the condition of the spark plugs to see if it is running rich or lean. Next I would inspect/change the fuel filter and do a pressure test. It also sounds like it could be a timing issue.
95yj0645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Along with the above you still need to address the battery issue. Is it the battery or the alternator or the voltage regulator.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank yall for the quick response

and yes this thing need a tune up bad and gone thru bad (long story why .... thinking of posting up "me and my jeep story" tonight for kicks lol )
but was simple curious if the two could be linked
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

your jeep is mpfi, therefore idle is 100% computer controlled. "setting the idle" by the throttle plate stop screw is a bad idea. throws the computer off and gives too high of a throttle position voltage at "idle" conditions.
return the throttle stop so that the butterfly is just touching the bore of the tb with no gaps allowing water by(adjust off the motor)

then figure out where your problems really are.
i'd check the condition of the cat, compression, condition of the battery, do a full tune up with all filters, plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor, and a good throttle body cleaning.

check your fuel pressure, verify operation of the manifold absolute pressure sensor(MAP) and check for any stored codes. i'd be surprised you didn't have a check engine light on from the description of your issues. and yes, tune up items in poor condition will cause it to run like garbage just as you've found.

and get a new battery in there, find the reason for your drain as well.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The problem with OBD I is you don't always display a Check engine light when it see's a problem. You need to check the codes first. Post what codes you have.

Ratmonkey posted some real solid advise. Do the tune up!
Filters, plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor, and a good throttle body cleaning. Clean the TB and the IAC port inside. Check the exhaust manifold for any leaks. It will throw off your O2 readings. Clean the CCV on the intake and the hose for it (I added this to the list of must do's because many people here have been having issues with blowby because its plugged).
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Try this the next time you drive it, get into 2nd gear and at just above an idle floor it. Does it spit and sputter like it's going to die?
If yes then try this, again in second gear but at about 2000RPM's floor it, does it run fine with the RPM's a little higher?

If yes to both it's time for a tuneup. I was having simular problems that were getting worse and I talked to a mechanic friend of mine thinking it was fuel related and after a guick test drive he said, "no it's not fuel but ignition related". He told me that under low RPM and high load when you floor it the ignition is trying to work it's hardest and it will find any waek spots, like plugs, wires, rotor and cap.

Did all of that to mine and she purrs like a kitten now, I had 2 bad wires, a bad plug, a burnt rotor, and a cracked cap. Just passing along what I learned in hopes it helps.
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank y'all for the advise and as soon as I have the "extra" cash to do full tune up at once (all my money right now tied up in new business) I will get back on this thread and let y'all know what I find. Thanks again y'all. This is why the forum is so awesome!!!
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara92 View Post
Thank y'all for the advise and as soon as I have the "extra" cash to do full tune up at once (all my money right now tied up in new business) I will get back on this thread and let y'all know what I find. Thanks again y'all. This is why the forum is so awesome!!!
Full tuner up with a new coil is about $100.00 Cheaper than you thought right?
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

no that about what i figured

i just have priorities and that $100 is better else where then the jeep right now
Unread 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Higher priorities than a running vehicle?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It runs and drives and yes since i have my work van ( that put what ever it needs on and into ). And I also have my truck as my dd So yea I only spend my extra "spendable" cash on my jeep. And that wasn't even the question in this thread... If coarse do a tune up it will run better I'm not stupid. My question was if the computer resets when it looses power and gets power back. And to end this. I have the extra spendable money so a full tune up is happening this week end. Along with a order for some mods Check out my thread titled " around $400 to spend what first ". And throw some ideas at me.
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

And if that don't sum it up I will put this out there

At the beginning of the year I bought a business ( lots and lots of money tied up in that so right now my "PRIORITIES are that all money going right back into the business. My jeep spendable money is coming from my side job and cash jobs
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

And if that don't sum it up I will put this out there

At the beginning of the year I bought a business ( lots and lots of money tied up in that so right now my "PRIORITIES are that all money going right back into the business. My jeep spendable money is coming from my side job and cash jobs

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.