Got Magnetorheological? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Got Magnetorheological?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
CALWATERBOY
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Got Magnetorheological?

Excuse me for asking, as have not looked at Jeep forums in quite a while, but....are there Magnetorheological shocks for YJ?

Nope, haven't measured my shock length or investigated Jeep's shocks from other models.

Weird, seemed to me, no mention of Magnetorheological or MagneRide anywhere here or Google, YJ.

What gives?

CALWATERBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't make up words. If google doesn't know, it doesn't exist.
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Don't make up words. If google doesn't know, it doesn't exist.
He's referring to the shocks used in Cadillacs and Corvettes. The "electonic smart suspension".

Sorry, its a real word. "Magneto-" obviously refers to magnetics. "rheological" is "about oil".

Reference here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorheological_fluid

So far, nobody has tried this in a YJ as far as I know. But its a fascinating idea. I think you would be better off at this point in time with a set of ORI struts or King shocks - its much more proven. Take a look at the ORI struts in the "harcore" section on Pirate. Besides, I don't think the Caddy shocks are long enough for what we want to do. Let alone the fact that they are like $2500 each.

Hope this helps.
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
CALWATERBOY
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
He's referring to the shocks used in Cadillacs and Corvettes. The "electonic smart suspension".

Sorry, its a real word. "Magneto-" obviously refers to magnetics. "rheological" is "about oil".

Reference here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorheological_fluid

So far, nobody has tried this in a YJ as far as I know. But its a fascinating idea. I think you would be better off at this point in time with a set of ORI struts or King shocks - its much more proven. Take a look at the ORI struts in the "harcore" section on Pirate. Besides, I don't think the Caddy shocks are long enough for what we want to do. Let alone the fact that they are like $2500 each.

Now run Old Man Emu - works well, but electric shocks instantly configurable. Intrigued by adjust, signal from leading radar, a thing I may have to build. Many ills cured - [click here].

Notice the price.

Yo! Complete radar system on a chip ~$1 -- I yearn....
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do you really think you'll notice a difference with leaf springs and solid axles though?
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Look for Cadillac Escalade in the junkyards, they might have some parts that you can use. But I'm sure you would need some cantilever setup to get long wheel travel. Range Rover is doing this?? Wow... no I don't have that kind of money, I barely even have enough for gas!
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Do you really think you'll notice a difference with leaf springs and solid axles though?
Yah, you have a good point there. It almost negates the whole idea. The electronic setups like the vette are all independent suspensions, and they only move a few inches. They are designed for racetracks, not Johnson Valley.
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
CALWATERBOY
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yah, you have a good point there. It almost negates the whole idea. The electronic setups like the vette are all independent suspensions, and they only move a few inches. They are designed for racetracks, not Johnson Valley.
Why should it? Viscosity being variable for in-flight mass control, and software responsive to every point of travel and attitude and maybe approaching terrain, could work a miracle. I expect better performance by sped'g rate of movement at every point in travel; every angle the suspension moves through, a 3D model.

Engineers, speak! What rates of wheel suspension travel should be expected? Chop that, 50 slices/sec for an idea of what can be done. Interested in noise control, not that Emu's loud - actually quite good all 'round.

And here's the question: How does Evoque determine suspension position?

Gotta wonder - could Evoque's system be adapted?
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's where your thirty years of theory is bested by my ten seconds of experience. Good shocks on bad springs does not a comfortable ride make.
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Why should it? Viscosity being variable for in-flight mass control, and software responsive to every point of travel and attitude and maybe approaching terrain, could work a miracle. I expect better performance by sped'g rate of movement at every point in travel; every angle the suspension moves through, a 3D model.

Engineers, speak! What rates of wheel suspension travel should be expected? Chop that, 50 slices/sec for an idea of what can be done. Interested in noise control, not that Emu's loud - actually quite good all 'round.

And here's the question: How does Evoque determine suspension position?

Gotta wonder - could Evoque's system be adapted?
Because you are still dealing with a leaf-sprung, solid-axle vehicle. That's why. It's not a question of what's haoppening under one wheel at any given instant. Its a question of whats happening under the entire axle.

As far as determining position, I imagine it would be easy to sense via electrical resistance of the working fluid.
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
CALWATERBOY
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Because you are still dealing with a leaf-sprung, solid-axle vehicle. That's why. It's not a question of what's haoppening under one wheel at any given instant. Its a question of whats happening under the entire axle.

As far as determining position, I imagine it would be easy to sense via electrical resistance of the working fluid.

Looked at Lord's site today - they list shocks as $400 each plus electronics. But fluid was a nose bleedin' $750/liter!

Still....given that shocks on both side of the vehicle can work in concert to deal w/solid axles and dynamics of leaf springs, might be a very good thing.
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Might be cheaper to buy a used Range Rover sport.
Still too rich for my blood.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
CALWATERBOY
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
Might be cheaper to buy a used Range Rover sport.

Might be good for the expense if can have total programability. That's the big draw for me - I like to fiddle - want a unit with developer's tools.

Keep ya'll posted - lots to do before I get to that. Have Novak's adaptors for LM7 conversion; looking for a motor! Keeping AX15 for now. Frame-up redo.
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
CALWATERBOY
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Might be good for the expense if can have total programability. That's the big draw for me - I like to fiddle - want a unit with developer's tools.

Keep ya'll posted - lots to do before I get to that. Have Novak's adaptors for LM7 conversion; looking for a motor! Keeping AX15 for now. Frame-up redo.
OK I checked Lord's Wonder Box - a simple voltage to current converter, pot adjustable, apparently brainless.

Must be controlled by another unit, in my case that would be a micro-controller at minimum running software authored by: yours truly, as Lord offers nothing on their site for control, much less for any vehicle model.

I see development work ahead.

Now hungry for YJ suspension dynamics - have none - anyone got??

Or, maybe I gotta re-invent the wheel? Yow! Suspension design theory not unknown to me, but have yet to execute any. Until now.

pained-smile-0-.jpg

EDIT: From the misty deep of ancient times - Active vehicle suspension control using intelligent feedback linearization - a good start but more like Bose's effort. Bose not interested in individual sales!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.