Got jeep back from shop, coolant level low, jeep running cold. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Got jeep back from shop, coolant level low, jeep running cold.

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
kainers
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got jeep back from shop, coolant level low, jeep running cold.

Hi there,

Just got the jeep back from getting my waterpump changed, along with some other things. I opened the hood and saw the cap for the coolant reservoir was missing, and the reservoir was empty. I opened the rad cap, and I don't see any coolant. Meaning, I can see the fins in the radiator. It's wet on the inside though, not bone dry or anything. The cap had some coolant drops fall off of it when I took it off.

Should the coolant be above the rad fins? Is there anyway to see how much coolant is in there?

He said there wasnt a thermostat in there, so he added one when he changed the waterpump. The jeeps temp gauge only went up to the 1/4 mark on the gauge. It should be around the middle?

I drove it about 10 miles, it was pretty chilly out, and I have an electrical fan. Dunno if those are any factors.

Last edited by kainers; 10-30-2010 at 07:18 PM..
kainers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post
I drove it about 10 miles, it was pretty chilly out, and I have an electrical fan. Dunno if those are any factors.
It should usually get up to temp within 10 miles, but not always. But low coolant will NEVER cause it to run cold. It will work like normal until it gets low to the point where it can't curculate through the engine and then it will overheat right away.

I would fill it up with a 50/50 coolant mix and fill the reservoir as well. But as far as it running cool from being too low... it just doesn't ahppen so I'd say you're fine.

If you have an electric fan and it was running all the time in cold temps I could see it only running around 1/4 of the way up. Or your thermostat could be stuck open as well. None of those things will hurt your jeep though. Running cool isn't going to do immediate damage to your engine like overheating, but I'd still check out those things as soon as possible.

If it never gets up to temp I'd start by checking the thermostat. They are cheap.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Gonna thread jack real quick.
What happens when the jeep is always running cold?
My jeep only gets up to 1/4 mark and stays no matter how much driving.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
kainers
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick reply. Super-fast!
I edited my first post a little as I realized it looked like one issue. I was worried about low coolant but also the low temp from possibly the wrong tstat. I forgot to mention he added a new tstat when he changed the pump. But it's good to know that
Even with low coolant the engine didn't over-heat.
kainers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They might not have burped the cooling system. Sometimes this might take a few heating and cooling cycles to get all the air out. Just keep the reservoir full to the hot mark for just a bit till it quits dropping the level down.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.