JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Got jeep back from shop, coolant level low, jeep running cold. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/got-jeep-back-shop-coolant-level-low-jeep-running-cold-1122181/)

kainers 10-30-2010 06:04 PM

Got jeep back from shop, coolant level low, jeep running cold.

Hi there,

Just got the jeep back from getting my waterpump changed, along with some other things. I opened the hood and saw the cap for the coolant reservoir was missing, and the reservoir was empty. I opened the rad cap, and I don't see any coolant. Meaning, I can see the fins in the radiator. It's wet on the inside though, not bone dry or anything. The cap had some coolant drops fall off of it when I took it off.

Should the coolant be above the rad fins? Is there anyway to see how much coolant is in there?

He said there wasnt a thermostat in there, so he added one when he changed the waterpump. The jeeps temp gauge only went up to the 1/4 mark on the gauge. It should be around the middle?

I drove it about 10 miles, it was pretty chilly out, and I have an electrical fan. Dunno if those are any factors.

TheNewbie 10-30-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kainers (Post 10367161)
I drove it about 10 miles, it was pretty chilly out, and I have an electrical fan. Dunno if those are any factors.

It should usually get up to temp within 10 miles, but not always. But low coolant will NEVER cause it to run cold. It will work like normal until it gets low to the point where it can't curculate through the engine and then it will overheat right away.

I would fill it up with a 50/50 coolant mix and fill the reservoir as well. But as far as it running cool from being too low... it just doesn't ahppen so I'd say you're fine.

If you have an electric fan and it was running all the time in cold temps I could see it only running around 1/4 of the way up. Or your thermostat could be stuck open as well. None of those things will hurt your jeep though. Running cool isn't going to do immediate damage to your engine like overheating, but I'd still check out those things as soon as possible.

If it never gets up to temp I'd start by checking the thermostat. They are cheap.

Budke 10-30-2010 06:16 PM

Gonna thread jack real quick.
What happens when the jeep is always running cold?
My jeep only gets up to 1/4 mark and stays no matter how much driving.

kainers 10-30-2010 06:21 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Super-fast!
I edited my first post a little as I realized it looked like one issue. I was worried about low coolant but also the low temp from possibly the wrong tstat. I forgot to mention he added a new tstat when he changed the pump. But it's good to know that
Even with low coolant the engine didn't over-heat.

dodger889 10-30-2010 07:51 PM

They might not have burped the cooling system. Sometimes this might take a few heating and cooling cycles to get all the air out. Just keep the reservoir full to the hot mark for just a bit till it quits dropping the level down.

The time now is 02:03 AM.