Got a Ford 8.8! now i have some questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Got a Ford 8.8! now i have some questions

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
mikeyford3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got a Ford 8.8! now i have some questions

So i got a 8.8 for 80 bucks! I want to know everything about installing it into the jeep before i do it! i have looked through about 30 threads and i see different things. This is what i have think i should have to do just by common sense and being a ford guy:

The perches and shock mounts need to be cut moved and welded on.
the axle tubes are pressed in so weld the axle tubes.
8.8s dont use pinion yokes like the d35 so need the pinion flange for the driveshaft.

Now for the Questions:
Will i have to get a new driveshaft?
Should i keep the axle in the same place as the d 35 was or move it back or forward any?
Will the brake lines and E brake bolt right up with the lines on the jeep?
And anything else i should know about installing the 8.8?

mikeyford3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
2jeepscj8

1981 CJ8 

I have the 8.8 in my TJ you shouldnt need a new drive shaft just the yoke for the 8.8 an you will need e-brake cables too I got my stuff from http://www.mountainoffroad.com/
2jeepscj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Actually you can re-use your stock e-brake cables, will cost you about 30 cents. You will need 2 passenger side brake lines from a stock explorer, not a driver and passenger line, just 2 passenger lines. You can re-use the stock drive shaft but you will need an 8.8 flange

These are VERY useful threads

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...inally-636291/

Ford 8.8 Axle in YJ

If you can't cut off the explorer perches without hacking them up, I got my kit from ruff stuff specialties and I love it

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...ine-p-186.html

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
whitie_08
1991 YJ Wrangler 

heres how i did my brakes... on the axle everything is factory ford. i joined my jeep [frame to axle] line to the ford [frame to axle] line via a compression fitting. im left with enough brakeline to never worry about it regarding lift and flex.

close up
Unread 07-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would leave the axle in the same place the D35 came from unless you want to get into stretching the wheelbase. You can get the Ruffstuff perches, or any that have 3 mounting holes, and stretch it an inch. I assume you have an SYE and CV. If so make sure you have enough slip in your shaft before doing that. If not, on 4+ inches of lift your slip yoke is probably close to max and I would leave it right where the d35 was.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
mikeyford3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Okay so i am re-using the everything off the axle just cutting it really carefully!
I dont not have a sye i have a 98+ np231 but i am keeping the axle in the same place
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
bpr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyford3 View Post
So i got a 8.8 for 80 bucks! I want to know everything about installing it into the jeep before i do it! i have looked through about 30 threads and i see different things. This is what i have think i should have to do just by common sense and being a ford guy:

8.8s dont use pinion yokes like the d35 so need the pinion flange for the driveshaft.

Now for the Questions:
Should i keep the axle in the same place as the d 35 was or move it back or forward any?
Use that $ you saved on the 8.8 and get you a sye now so you can weld the perches in the correct location one time and be done.
bpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2nd that. Get the SYE and a CV shaft and be done with it. Believe me, doing right the first time saves you big in the long run.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sure somewhere in the 30+ threads you've read, you've seen this, but I'll post it here too. Measure 9/16's of an inch from the outside edge of the spring perches going toward the outter edge of the axle. Mark that spot ( I cut a light groove in the tube), then put the new perches over at that new spot and you should be dead on. I think I had to tap mine one way about a 1/16 once it was under there.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Now for the Questions:
I used my stock drive shaft.
I used all the exploder stock brake lines/hoses with no issue.
I used my yj stock ebrake cables

KISS!!!!!
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
mikeyford3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well the guy backed out of the deal so now i need to find a new 4.10 8.8

anyone have an extra ones layin around? hah
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
mikeyford3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

found another 8.8 for 175 picking it up on the 13th!
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

anything under 200 is a great deal.

You'll want to get a flange adapter that uses 1310 u joints, and bolts to the 8.8 pinion flange. Dana/Spicer part number 2-2-1379. Yes 1330/1310 hybrid u joints are available but I think a one time $30 flange that lets you run normal 1310 joints is worth it.

The diff cover is incredibly thin sheet metal, so plan on getting a beefier one.

I have the 8.8 in the garage right now, so can't comment on installation. Paid 150 with no gears (need 4.88's anyways) and LSD carrier (wanted open for lock-right /aussie, owell.)

If anyone wants to trade and LSD carrier for an open lemme know
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
mikeyford3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
anything under 200 is a great deal.

You'll want to get a flange adapter that uses 1310 u joints, and bolts to the 8.8 pinion flange. Dana/Spicer part number 2-2-1379. Yes 1330/1310 hybrid u joints are available but I think a one time $30 flange that lets you run normal 1310 joints is worth it.

The diff cover is incredibly thin sheet metal, so plan on getting a beefier one.

I have the 8.8 in the garage right now, so can't comment on installation. Paid 150 with no gears (need 4.88's anyways) and LSD carrier (wanted open for lock-right /aussie, owell.)

If anyone wants to trade and LSD carrier for an open lemme know
I might have a old open carrier from a 8.8 laying around ill have to check!
It would be the right carrier break too because it was out a 4.10 axle ill let you know tomorrow!

Yeah i am going to be doing this right the first time!
i have a 8.8 with a limited slip 4.10 gear ratio
Im cutting the perches off and the shock mounts
Im going to be sanding it all down painting it to look nice!
Maybe a locker. Thinking cable lock
Beefy diff cover
and a sye
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I might have a old open carrier from a 8.8 laying around ill have to check!
It would be the right carrier break too because it was out a 4.10 axle ill let you know tomorrow!
There's not a carrier break on the 8.8 FYI
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.