Goodbye to the YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Goodbye to the YJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

Goodbye to the YJ

I bought my '91 Renegade in December of 2005. I've had a great 7+ years driving my winter DD.

My love for the Wrangler is what has made me decide to buy another one, but this time a 4-door. At first I didn't care for the look, but they've grown on me. So this week, I'll be trading my 91 YJ for a 2013 JKU.

From the time that I've bought it until now, I've gotten married, bought a house, and had a kid. All three have conspired to remove any spare time that I might have had in maintaining my YJ going forward. I simply don't have the time anymore. The maintenance is costly and time consuming and worse of all, I'm not comfortable in putting my two year-old son in the back seat. Not that I'm expecting a roll-over, mind you, but there's simply not enough safety for him, at least in my mind. I needed something that I can transport my family in and enjoy it with my son - he doesn't speak yet but he knows a Jeep when he sees one. "Where's Daddy's Jeep?" Turns, points, "Ahh!" "That's my boy."

Of course the first thing my wife tells me, after I got back from the dealership, was to say "you're not going to be working on the new Jeep all the time are you?"

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has helped me these past few years. I love this board.

Unread 03-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Best to you in your new endeavors. What model and color did you get?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

Went with the Sahara, Silver Billet. My YJ is black. The Black JKU's look really sharp, but 1) I've already owned a black Jeep, and 2) there are way too many Black ones out there. Really like how the Silver Billet color looks on the new Wranglers.
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Picture?
Congrats on the new Jeep!
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Dog View Post
Of course the first thing my wife tells me, after I got back from the dealership, was to say "you're not going to be working on the new Jeep all the time are you?"

Women and their silly questions

Congrats. I didn't like the 4-door when it first came out, but they can be set up really nicely, and they do kind of grow on you. However, I'll keep my YJ. Has more character.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I love my YJ, but I'm worried about safety too. I really wish I had airbags.
chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck in the new Jeep!!! Sound reasons and your only a page away from some serious wrenching.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You know you won't be able to play with the cool kids on the YJ forum any more.....
Sorry to see you sell it.
If you want to use my friends and family discount let me know.
Good luck with the JK!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You know you won't be able to play with the cool kids on the YJ forum any more.....
Sorry to see you sell it.
If you want to use my friends and family discount let me know.
Good luck with the JK!
I'm a Tread Lightly member which gives me 1% below invoice. In my negotiations, I got slightly better than that, so I'm good (think it's closer to 2%), but thank you! Truth be told, I got 9.5% below MSRP.

I won't be in the 'YJ owners' club, but I can at least stop by and hang out from time to time. I really did enjoy owning my YJ. Only thing I've ever had that had me cursing like a sailor one minute, and bragging about it the next.
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

Picked it up yesterday:

Walked in, handed them my YJ keys, walked out holding JKU keys. It was nice driving a Jeep and not seeing my breath while driving to work - the heater worked, it just took a long time and the tub wasn't all that sealed from the outside air.

On another point, I decided to wait until after all of the paperwork was signed before I told them that the YJ's gas gauge was ornamental, only.
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I love that silver. Nice jeep!
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is one very funing looking YJ! Where are the square things up in front? Why are there so many doors? Glad to see you got a good deal. I was pricing a Rubi and even with my discount I was looking at 32,000. I just couldn't put myself out there for that kind of money right now.

Don't be a stranger on the forum!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
That is one very funing looking YJ! Where are the square things up in front? Why are there so many doors? Glad to see you got a good deal. I was pricing a Rubi and even with my discount I was looking at 32,000. I just couldn't put myself out there for that kind of money right now.

Don't be a stranger on the forum!
Wait, headlights come in ROUND?! First thing I had to get used to with the new Jeep.

They ARE expensive. I looked at the numbers again and it looks like I got about 3% below invoice. My TreadLightly membership gives me 1%, but I negotiated the rest. I also talked them into giving me more for trading in the YJ. Disappointed that I didn't get a lot more, but for a 22 year old Jeep, I can't complain about getting $1200 in trade. But still, this thing almost hit $40k MSRP, since I added a lot of bells and whistles. It wasn't the fact that I'm getting a new Jeep that I had to convince my wife, it was the fact that it's $10k more than what she paid for her Outback and hers has more storage space - important with a family.

But still, I'm gonna miss her...

Thank you Que89YJ, for all your help in other threads through the years. I fully intend on dropping in here from time to time. Can't let these years of owning a YJ go to waste!
Unread 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you dont mind... What did the new one cost out the door? I am thinking about picking one up in about a year when my wifes corolla is paid off.
Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

My final cost for the Sahara was $36423. That's w/dual top, leather seats, 430N radio, side-impact airbags, automatic HVAC, automatic tranny. The MSRP came out to be 39500, I think.

Just drove home with my son in the back for the first time. I had remote started it and he was scared when I first put him in the back because I left the air on high. Turned it down and he was fine. Unlike my wife's car, he did NOT fall asleep. Stayed up the entire drive home, talking to me the entire time (well, he's 2 and doesn't actually speak yet, but I'm sure he was telling me about all the cool new features that he can see). I put his car seat in the center back, so he could see out the front. Got home, "so, what do you think of Daddy's new Jeep?" Follow that with another minute of him talking to me, telling me all about it. I believe he's a fan.

Last week, he was in my home office sitting beside my chair, flipping through the latest Quadratec catalog (yes, seriously). He's gonna be a Jeep boy. I yelled to the kitchen, "Sweety, he likes the new options they have in the latest Jeep catalog!" All I heard was "Oh God."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.