Good starter won't turn flywheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Good starter won't turn flywheel

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Dgeiling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good starter won't turn flywheel

My 93 4.0 Liter Wrangler ran fine in December then sat for four months. I went out to start it in April and just got a clicking sound when I turned the ignition. I installed a new battery. At that point when I tried to start the Jeep it sounded like a giant vacuum cleaner. Plenty of juice but the engine wouldn't crank and just had an even loud whirring sound. So, I figured that was the starter. I got a new starter from Auto Zone and installed it. I went to start the Jeep and got the same thing. I then figured I got a bad starter from Autozone so I took it back. They tested the starter and it's fine. So, it seems to me that, for some reason, my starter, which is good, is not turning the flywheel. There is no grinding sound or any indication that the teeth are misaligned.

Any ideas for what the problem might be would be appreciated.

Dgeiling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Dgeiling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I should add that the teeth on the flywheel look good. They are not worn down or anything.
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your bendix is not coming out all the way.You can bench test the starter yourself with a set of jumper cables and a wire.So you know for yourself that it's the starter or not.Them autozone guys worry me.They'll tell you they are ASE certified if they think you'll believe it..Maybe a bum cable?Bench test the starter first to see if it is working.Then install it and bypass the battery cables by using your jumper cables as battery cables.If it starts with the jumper cables then hook up you battery cables and see if it works.If not then you probably have a bad pos. battery cable.(make sure you neg. cable is clean and grounded good. Make sure you pos. cable is also clean.
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
jezuzkrist
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah it sounds to me that your starter is not getting the full amperage it should. Low amps will result in starter spin but no bendix
jezuzkrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Dgeiling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh... Makes sense. Thanks guys.
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
bublx

O.k. I want to share my expierience with clanking starter. At first I thought it is battery fault. Then I installed my wifes battery and it was the same, just clank and no turning flywheel. Then I did battery clamp cleaning with sand paper so that metal shines, I did put it on back tight (added some greace on - oxy prevention) And still nothing just c-l-a-n-k. Then I took off starter and tried engaging it with
the same batt on the floor in my garage. And it worked fine. It shooted out good and spinning was very well. After it I checked all possibilities around bad wire connections and finally FOUND GROUND CONNECTION N E A R starter, it jumps from engine to cars frame. Cars frame connection was really bad looking, corosion brown. So I took it off, sanded properly surface on wire and frame and even cleaned screw. After attaching it back Starter worked. I almost bought a new battery and was thinking of new starter as well. By the way I have honda CRV 2001. Also really sanded clamps so that metal shines and tight connecting is very important, as well as negative wire connection to cars frame - if brown, sand it. In my case even lights were good and radio working, but for engaging starter those brown connections did fault. Good luck!
bublx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.