good ole 87 wrangler problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > good ole 87 wrangler problems

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
fattybourgeois

good ole 87 wrangler problems

oh yeah i have an 87 wrangler that wont run.problem..it starts,runs great at idle smooth acceleration,but it only runs for about 1 minute than dies.then it will be a ***** to start.let it sit and it will do the same thing.i have a webber carb.,i also did the "nutter".I used this forum for vacume line routing.the jeep has sat for 2 years, filled with fresh gas with a can of heat.fuel is pumping..please help im ready to push it into the harbor.thanks.

fattybourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
ocean31
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe, fuel pump, easy check

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattybourgeois View Post
oh yeah i have an 87 wrangler that wont run.problem..it starts,runs great at idle smooth acceleration,but it only runs for about 1 minute than dies.then it will be a ***** to start.let it sit and it will do the same thing.i have a webber carb.,i also did the "nutter".I used this forum for vacume line routing.the jeep has sat for 2 years, filled with fresh gas with a can of heat.fuel is pumping..please help im ready to push it into the harbor.thanks.
The only reason I am saying the fuel pump, is what you are describing is the same thing I had over the weekend with a bad fuel pump. The pump was working, kinda of, and would pump a little fuel up there, the engine would run for less then a min, die out, then you would have to let sit there until the fuel pump slowly bleed enough fuel into the carb. How I went off to the fuel pump was the fact that when it would not start, I could pour a little gasoline into the carb throat, and it would start up.

Trying breaking your intake fuel line before your fuel pump, Take the line and put it into a large container, ( I used a hard plastic 20oz big gulp cup) Crank the engine. In about 15 seconds that cup should be empty. What mine would do is pump the cup down until the fuel filter and output lines were full, then very slowly pump down the rest. THe pressure it was putting out just was not enough to get through the filter and into the carb.

Now of course, the very first thing you do, is the basics, break the fuel line at the carb, any fuel at all?, Check your spark, normally easiest at a removed spark plug. Make sure you do the these two, then change out your fuel filter (cheap at 7.00). Then check your fuel pump as described above

Hope this helps
ocean31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
ocean31
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Woops, I'm bad

Sorry, did not read that part where you say the fuel pump is pumping. Not like me, I normally read, and reread post.

Still check by putting a little fuel down the carb throat. Not a lot needed. If she fires up, and you know for sure the fuel pump is okay, then it must be in the carb bowl. Possible the inlet valve is gummed up. If the inlet valve is gummed up from sitting, you might get away with breaking the fuel line at the carb, spraying some carb cleaner in there and see what happens. If the carb cleaner makes an improvment, then you probably need to tear open and clean your carb out.

Now,,,,,, hope that helps.
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
fattybourgeois

thanks for the comeback our problems sound similar.I quess i dont know how much the pump should put out.I broke the fuel line after the and befor the filter and fuel would come out but not much.I will try what u suggested with the fuel line.It does seem like the carb runs out of fuel.I can see some fuel in the bowl and it seems like after a minute it drys up then it stalls.thanks again
fattybourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
ocean31
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattybourgeois View Post
thanks for the comeback our problems sound similar.I quess i dont know how much the pump should put out.I broke the fuel line after the and befor the filter and fuel would come out but not much.I will try what u suggested with the fuel line.It does seem like the carb runs out of fuel.I can see some fuel in the bowl and it seems like after a minute it drys up then it stalls.thanks again

If not much fuel came out after the filter, I would try replacing the filter first, it is cheap and easy, If the fuel stayed in the filter for a couple years, it may have gummed up the filter.

If that does not help, try the carb cleaner at the fuel intake on the carb. Right behind the fuel connection is the needle valve for the float. It should be visilble when you pull the hard connection from the carb. When removing the fuel line from the carb try to make sure the brass fitting on the carb does not move, Movement thier can change the fuel foat settings. Only after the above two would I try the cup of fuel and all that. THe abover two (filter and needle valve) would be easy checks.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.