Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Good Jeep hard to find

940 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  90wranleryj 
#1 ·
I just went and looked at a couple of Jeeps, one was an 89 6 cyl auto with a small suspension lift, hard doors, no top, no backseat, asking $2200

The other was a 90 6 cyl. 5 spd, all stock with a hard top and full hard doors. Asking $3200

The problem is both have generous amounts of Herculiner and undercoating, and signs of previous rust. How can I tell how much rust is under the coatings?

BTW both jeeps are at the same small carlot in rural Missouri. I don't mind rust if I know what I'm up against going into it, kinda leery of buying something without being able to really inspect the frame.

Suggestions?

#4 ·
OneLung said:
They don't seem like much for the price. My brother-in-law got a 95, 4.0, soft-top completely stock with about 80K on it for only $3250. Just keep looking. Put your zip code into ebay motors and see what's on there too.

Persistance pays off!!

eBay Motors
That's exactly what I'm looking for but around here they seem to be made of gold.:D

Wed. I went to another place and the guy had a 93 Sahara with 4 flat tires, a bikini top and it looked like the rear leaf springs were shot, he didn't blink an eye when he said $4300:2thumbsup:
Said he would take $3500 since it would need 4 tires:brickwall

#5 ·
I bought my 89 YJ from ebay and I have to say that I got an awesome deal on it. I paid $2,500 for her. A college student had it and he was restoring it and ran out of money for the job so he wanted to sell for money for college. You will find a lot of people selling their heeps on there for numerous of reasons from the wife not letting them keep it or new baby on the way or in my case to pay for school. Just keep your eye open for the good deals and the bad ones as well.

#6 ·
OneLung said:
They don't seem like much for the price. My brother-in-law got a 95, 4.0, soft-top completely stock with about 80K on it for only $3250. Just keep looking. Put your zip code into ebay motors and see what's on there too.

Persistance pays off!!
wow, does it have a title? Especially a no rust AZ jeep, I'm jealous.

#9 ·
i sold a rather nice YJ on ebay for 2000...

it had a 3" lift with brand new 31" AT's all around . It had a dana 44 rear axle (4.10 gearing) hardtop that was freshly painted, hard doors, brand new 8000 lb winch (gorilla) new rear bumper, new steps, new stereo(400.00) and 70,000 miles with very little rust...

the bads, 2.5 but not the 4.0... paint from a repair on drivers rocker panel was a little rough, there was no carpet, nor drain plugs.. that's it.. even came with a bikini top...

ebay screwed me over, my loss was his gain.... i needed the money... i had 5 grand into it and only got 2 for it... i bought it for 1500 with ALLOT of repairs needed... and stripped of all luxuries listed above..

ebay is the way to buy, not sell

#10 ·
If you're looking for one with an I6, do yourself a favor and get a '91 or later. Personally I would avoid a '88-'89 like it was the plague, probably the worst Jeeps ever made...

#12 ·
Hey Grim, tell me why you dislike the 88 and 89's so much. I just bought and rebuilt an 89 wrangler yj and I do have some questions.

Like how can I make it cruise better. When I get it up to about 70mph It feels like it needs to switch to OD. What can I add or change?

Thanks

#13 ·
258 and Peugot tranny, enough said...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.