Is this a good buy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is this a good buy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
midnight

Is this a good buy

Owned a new 1997 TJ back in the day, sold it in the first year and am wanting to get back into a Wrangler. Just want to start off small with an inexpensive YJ as a winter vehicle and take it from there. Spotted a 1991 yellow 4 cylinder YJ with a roll bar, winch, fog lamps and soft and bikini tops.Asking price $2800. The body has 325 000 kms but the motor was replaced some time ago and has according to the owner 150 000 kms only.. The engine swap can be confirmed because of mismatched VIN numbers. That's all i know for now......am thinking that if all runs well a price of $2000-$2400 might work.....any thoughts ideas or advice. I know very little about the YJ's . I have been told to make sure the heater works because they tend to be a problem area making winter driving uncomfortable....I line in Vancouver Canada where winters are fairly mild.
P.S. For some reason i didn't give Jeep ownership much of a chance when i bought my 1997 TJ. It came with only a soft top, half doors and I bought it at the tail end of winter. Since then i have ridden jeeps from time to time and rented a new JK in Mazatlan for a week and had a good time exploring the beach and sandy areas of town. Any advice would be appreciated.....Should i skip the YJ and try for another TJ....JK is out of my budget right now. Also the YJ's seem to have a lot more character....older retro is better Ha ha .

midnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
dailydrivenyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

YJ's in san diego average 4.5 to 6k so 2.8 is a killer deal here. But i know its all relative. I love my YJ and leaf springs, so im biased.
dailydrivenyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's a good deal as long as the drivetrain is all functioning. In my area (Ohio, wv, pa) good condition yj's go for $5000+. Usually $3500 will get you a rust bucket that you need to put time and money into just to drive legally.
Relicmoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Tblair23221
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Gotta agree with the other posters so far. I know in TN, the cheapest thing you can find is for 4000 and that is for either a Jeep with a decent body but does not run or a Jeep that runs but the body is in poor shape.

Its all relative to the area I guess but I know that price would be a steal here.
Tblair23221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.