Going to look at a YJ tomorrow.. any advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Going to look at a YJ tomorrow.. any advice?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Going to look at a YJ tomorrow.. any advice?

I'm going to look at a '94 6cyl 5 spd tomorrow.. I had a YJ back in high school when I didnt know anything about jeeps so i don't remember much. Is there anything I need to pay careful attention to when looking over the jeep? clearly body and frame rust are a concern. The windshield frame probably needs replaced due to rust, but the seller says everything else has the "typical rust for a jeep of its age". I dont mind repairing rust spots. So is there anything else I need to keep an eye out for? By the way, the jeep has a 4" lift and 35s... Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Watch for Rust on the frame around the rear shackle mounts !
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Keep your eyes open and your wallet shut.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
USMC3531
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How many miles are on it? Watch for blue smoke out of the exhaust when you rev it up. I'd pull the plugs to get a look at them if the guy will let you. They should be tan and not black with wet oil. Check the oil dipstick for signs of water (the oil will look like mud). Does the engine run smoothly? Check to be sure the 4 wheel drive is actuating, not just shifting into low range (the 4 wheel drive light should be on). Drive it and check for unusual sounds, does the trans shift smoothly, or pop out of gear. Look around under the motor for oil leaks. Look under the radiator for water leaks. Are the hoses and belts good? Are there any squeals from the water pump or alternator? Are the shocks and steering stabilizer in good shape? Take a look at the front disc rotors, are they smooth? How are the tires?

This could go on and on, but that's what I'd look for, besides the rust.
USMC3531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rot at the frame, both the very end near the shackle mount, and near the front hanger for the rear spring. I hear they can rot near the steering box too, but I have not seen one.

Rot at the floor boards, in the front around the brace that goes down to the floor and behind the seat around the seat belt and roll bar. Also look underneath for rot at the braces on the floor.

Open up the air cleaner and look for either a new filter, or signs of oil. These like to have "blow by" and the breather hose should go into the top of the air cleaner from the PCV valve. (Make sure it does too!)

Look under the carpet to see if the drain plugs are all out, this could be signs of a bad water leak. Also, peek under the dash to see if there are signs of heavy corrosion that could point to a water leak as well.

Try the 4WD and see if it feels like the front axle in engaged. It should bind and buck a little with the wheel cut. If not, you may need work on the front axle disconnect.

Check all the gauges, they have ground issues and you could have some that are not working. Is it on empty? That could be a dead gauge.

As mentioned above, check for the normal "used car" stuff like leaks and condition.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

thanks for the replys fellas! its got 25k on the motor and over 250k on the body.. im expecting rust, but at least now i know where to look
ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.