Going into gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Going into gear

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
the_hub49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Going into gear

Ive noticed my jeep likes to grind going into third sometimes, along with first and second less often. Is this due to there not being enough tranny fluid or the tranny its self. The unit is all stock. Ive been really easing to the gears to see that made a diff but no luck. Some 2 cents would help

the_hub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can check the oil level in tranny. Check also your clutch mc for leaks and proper fluid level. On firewall under hood and in cabin and down at tranny. If everything ok then probably synchros like mine .. Been driving it forever like that just been careful and upshifting earlier.
atldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Have you changed the trans fluid lately. Try some syncromesh synthetic 75W-90 or 10W-30. Brand is up to you but a change of fluid sometimes makes things work better. It did in mine.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
jjh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atldude View Post
You can check the oil level in tranny. Check also your clutch mc for leaks and proper fluid level. On firewall under hood and in cabin and down at tranny. If everything ok then probably synchros like mine .. Been driving it forever like that just been careful and upshifting earlier.
That is exactly what is wrong with mine. I would still check all your fluids though. I have been driving mine for a little also and I am used to it already. Only grinds when I am driving like a @ss which is rarely
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was told that this was a common issue. Mine also does it in 2-nd and 3-rd. yea it will make you drive like a suburbian soccer mom in no time!
atldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
the_hub49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That all seems like a step in the right direction. Am I missing it or is there no tranny dip stick in the engine bay? It had a full tranny fluid flush last year and Royal Purple put in. But I will be checking the levels. If it isnt the levels what does that mean for my transmission? Is it on its way out or can I just drop it and replace something simple or do I get a better one and call it good?
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hub49
That all seems like a step in the right direction. Am I missing it or is there no tranny dip stick in the engine bay? It had a full tranny fluid flush last year and Royal Purple put in. But I will be checking the levels. If it isnt the levels what does that mean for my transmission? Is it on its way out or can I just drop it and replace something simple or do I get a better one and call it good?
There is no dip stick. You have to pull the fill plug and stick your finger in.
In my opinion, it's your syncros. Eventually they will have to be replaced. I cannot see your info on my phone. What tranny and year??
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
the_hub49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ya i though so, just as easy i should get used to crawling under this thing. Its a 90 YJ stock tranny.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.