JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Going into gear (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/going-into-gear-1580209/)

the_hub49 09-12-2013 07:22 PM

Going into gear

Ive noticed my jeep likes to grind going into third sometimes, along with first and second less often. Is this due to there not being enough tranny fluid or the tranny its self. The unit is all stock. Ive been really easing to the gears to see that made a diff but no luck. Some 2 cents would help

atldude 09-12-2013 08:13 PM

You can check the oil level in tranny. Check also your clutch mc for leaks and proper fluid level. On firewall under hood and in cabin and down at tranny. If everything ok then probably synchros like mine .. Been driving it forever like that just been careful and upshifting earlier.

jokerchief462 09-12-2013 10:17 PM

Have you changed the trans fluid lately. Try some syncromesh synthetic 75W-90 or 10W-30. Brand is up to you but a change of fluid sometimes makes things work better. It did in mine.

jjh 09-13-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atldude (Post 15955649)
You can check the oil level in tranny. Check also your clutch mc for leaks and proper fluid level. On firewall under hood and in cabin and down at tranny. If everything ok then probably synchros like mine .. Been driving it forever like that just been careful and upshifting earlier.

That is exactly what is wrong with mine. I would still check all your fluids though. I have been driving mine for a little also and I am used to it already. Only grinds when I am driving like a @ss which is rarely

atldude 09-13-2013 01:41 PM

I was told that this was a common issue. Mine also does it in 2-nd and 3-rd. yea it will make you drive like a suburbian soccer mom in no time!

the_hub49 09-15-2013 06:51 PM

That all seems like a step in the right direction. Am I missing it or is there no tranny dip stick in the engine bay? It had a full tranny fluid flush last year and Royal Purple put in. But I will be checking the levels. If it isnt the levels what does that mean for my transmission? Is it on its way out or can I just drop it and replace something simple or do I get a better one and call it good?

bigbossd1030 09-15-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_hub49
That all seems like a step in the right direction. Am I missing it or is there no tranny dip stick in the engine bay? It had a full tranny fluid flush last year and Royal Purple put in. But I will be checking the levels. If it isnt the levels what does that mean for my transmission? Is it on its way out or can I just drop it and replace something simple or do I get a better one and call it good?

There is no dip stick. You have to pull the fill plug and stick your finger in.
In my opinion, it's your syncros. Eventually they will have to be replaced. I cannot see your info on my phone. What tranny and year??

the_hub49 09-16-2013 07:37 PM

Ya i though so, just as easy i should get used to crawling under this thing. Its a 90 YJ stock tranny.

The time now is 01:28 AM.