GM HEI upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > GM HEI upgrade?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-12-2001, 09:54 PM   #1
SFM1AE2

GM HEI upgrade?

I have a 87 YJ. I'm running a MSD coil and MSD 6AL ignition box routed through the old jeep ignition box. Can anyone tell me how to wire up a HEI ditributor with my MSD box? Can I cut the old iginition box out of the loop? Thanks in advance.

Unread 06-25-2001, 03:04 PM   #2
mike byrd

don't bother with the HEI.... go to your local auto parts store and get a cap, rotor, adapter and wires for a '97 Ford pickup with the 300cu six cylinder....you'll be amazed and you don't have to modify ANYTHING. The distributor in your jeep is a motorcraft, the same exact one that's in the ford truck, except jeep used a smaller car that really restricts the spark/rpm..
Unread 09-10-2001, 06:53 PM   #3
B2hi

All you need to connect the HEI is a switchable 12v source and connect the tac wire. HEI can be expensive. $255 to $350.
Check www.performancedistributors.com
Throttle body spacer
K+N air filter

Con-ferr shackles,R.E. 4.5 lift with 33x12.5 BFG Muds and 1in. body
B2hi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2001, 07:06 PM   #4
renegade0351

mike,
what adapter are you talking about ?
89 sahara, 4.2 , k551 weber, nutter bypass, tuffy stereo security console & under seat security drawer, 4'pro comp & 3'body, front waggy44 w/detroit & 4.88, rear waggy44 w/detroit & 4.88, teralow sye, tw's cv drive shaft {rear}, warn locking hubs, boomerrangs all around, 35x15.50 tsl-sx swampers { love that roar}.
renegade0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2001, 09:19 PM   #5
87yj350

When I had a 6 in my jeep I did a HEI swap it is hands down better then the ford dura spark crap. The idle was not choppy and the mileage increased. I got the dist out of an old 292 chevy motor then ordered the gear right from mopar. Had about $100 into the whole swap. I would recommend it to anybody with a carbed yj.
87yj350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2001, 12:34 PM   #6
glm 87 wrangler

cape cod conversions can help you out with the whole set up for about 220.00 dollars
They also have TFI kits. Dont know how well it works but there web site is very info..even tells how to install right on there site.Having problems with timming on mine.Just dont have the cash right now.Email
glenn105@yahoo.com He sells the thing and has all the info you need..May try the ford 300ci
trick first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.