Glasspack question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Glasspack question

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
kylebeau
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Glasspack question

Anybody run a glass pack, I'm trying to find out what size to buy and how big the diameter of the hole needs to be

kylebeau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i put on on my sons cj5 with a 258. i think it was 2.25" in and out. get as long a body as you can fit so it sounds deep instead of whiny
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
kylebeau
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj
i put on on my sons cj5 with a 258. i think it was 2.25" in and out. get as long a body as you can fit so it sounds deep instead of whiny
alright so that'll work on my yj?
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, as long as you have a 6 cylinder. It will work on a 4 banger too but check the diameter of the exhaust first and check it anyway to make sure 2.25 is correct
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
kylebeau
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj
Yes, as long as you have a 6 cylinder. It will work on a 4 banger too but check the diameter of the exhaust first and check it anyway to make sure 2.25 is correct
Alright thanks
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
baktie_91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the stock tubing is 2.25". I ran a glasspack for about 2 weeks and hated the sound. I ended up just piping it with regular exhaust tubing after the cat and I love it, although it may be a little loud for some people
baktie_91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
kylebeau
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baktie_91YJ
the stock tubing is 2.25". I ran a glasspack for about 2 weeks and hated the sound. I ended up just piping it with regular exhaust tubing after the cat and I love it, although it may be a little loud for some people
Why didn't you like it?
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

its personal preference. my son and i love how his sounds.

i have a flowmaster on mine and its too quiet. i like the hotrod sound because i grew up having a muscle car and modified sports cars. i know for most wrangler guys, that sound isn;t good because they are stock engines and want quiet. not for me. not stock and hopefully someday i will get off my butt and swap the v8 in but who knows when that will happen. especially since our taxes should have a huge increase once obamacare really kicks in. i might be to broke to do a swap then.
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
baktie_91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It sounded great at idle and at 2500+ revs, but right in the driving range from 1900-2400 it sounded very whiney. Just wasn't a fan. Gave it to my friend who has a 4.2 and it sounds great all the time.
baktie_91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a magnaflow magnapack on my XJ it sounds nice and deep and aggressive but it also has a header and hiflow cat. I plan on adding a clifford header on my YJ and a hiflow cat with a magnapack on it
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I ran a glasspack many years ago. It sounded terrible. I dealt with it because I couldn't afford to replace it at the time. That was on a 258. Eventually I got tired of it and cut it out to stick a cheap turbo muffler in it's place. My wife's 93 4.0 came with a glasspack that had a big hole in the back of it and it didn't sound nearly as bad as mine had, but still not good.

I'm currently running a Spintech muffler on my YJ, and I installed a Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler on my wife's Jeep when I replaced her exhaust. Both options are much better than the glasspack they replaced.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

in his opinion
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The best Jeep I have heard to date is my bud's '00 TJ with a 4.0 (Pineda22 here on the forums.) He has no muffler, just a hi-flow cat, straight piped out the back with a Borla tip on the end. Sounds like a v8 at idle and when romping on it, and quiets down to a mild drone at cruising speeds (barely hear it in the cab.) It's amazing. I think I may try that set up with my 2.5 and see how it goes.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
kylebeau
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows
The best Jeep I have heard to date is my bud's '00 TJ with a 4.0 (Pineda22 here on the forums.) He has no muffler, just a hi-flow cat, straight piped out the back with a Borla tip on the end. Sounds like a v8 at idle and when romping on it, and quiets down to a mild drone at cruising speeds (barely hear it in the cab.) It's amazing. I think I may try that set up with my 2.5 and see how it goes. Cheers
Ooh I might do that too
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
kylebeau
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows
The best Jeep I have heard to date is my bud's '00 TJ with a 4.0 (Pineda22 here on the forums.) He has no muffler, just a hi-flow cat, straight piped out the back with a Borla tip on the end. Sounds like a v8 at idle and when romping on it, and quiets down to a mild drone at cruising speeds (barely hear it in the cab.) It's amazing. I think I may try that set up with my 2.5 and see how it goes. Cheers
I'll be keeping up with your build thread for when you do that. Let me know how it sounds when you do and maybe I'll copy you haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.