Getting new gears(I know with ones) but have questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Getting new gears(I know with ones) but have questions

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-24-2001, 11:00 PM   #1
KennethH

Getting new gears(I know with ones) but have questions

It's been a while since I boght my jeep and I'm looking into lifting my jeep. I plan on a 3"-4" lift and 33" tires. I've been reading about gears, lockers, etc. Well I have a 94YJ with 3.07 gears. I plan on getting 4.11 gears and from what I read I'm going to need a different carrier because the current one will not work correct? Also how can you tell if you have an ABS axle. I've read that just because you don't ABS dosn't mean the axle isn't set up for it. I was also thinking about getting some kind of locker or limited slip while I was doing this. Does anyone know of a good website with reviews on lockers and so forth. Also what do you guys think of buying used gears, carriers and lockers. If there is any other things that I should watch out for please let me know.
Thanks
Kenneth
One more question are there any good trails near New Orleans (East Texas, Mississippi and Arkansas) to go on.

KennethH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2001, 11:07 AM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, you're gonna need a new carrier. Now if you buy a full carrier locker (ie, ARB, Detroit) then that will take care of the carrier.

Used gears have a tendency to whine a little. Primarily cause they're not likely to be setup identically. But in a Jeep, as much ambient noise as we suffer from, who cares about a little gear whine. As long as the gears are in good shape, I wouldn't worry about it. But you're not gonna get a warranty on the labor if you install used gears.

Oh! One more thing. The best way to accomplish this is just to buy the axles from a fellow with a 4 banger that's upgrading. The 4 banger has 4.10s stock. Then you can cannibalize your current axles for spares.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2001, 12:58 PM   #3
RodeoRob

Quote:
Originally posted by KennethH:
Also how can you tell if you have an ABS axle. I've read that just because you don't ABS dosn't mean the axle isn't set up for it.
You don't have ABS, but you do have the ABS carrier... keep this in mind when you are ordering your locker. We ran into this on my friends '94YJ when we ordered the non-ABS locker and it didn't fit.
-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2001, 09:56 AM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by RodeoRob:
You don't have ABS, but you do have the ABS carrier... keep this in mind when you are ordering your locker. We ran into this on my friends '94YJ when we ordered the non-ABS locker and it didn't fit.
-Rob[/B]
Boy, sure would be nice if it were that simple. Unfortunately, not all 94YJs had the ABS carrier. Some do, some don't. If he replaces the carrier with a Detroit or ARB, then it doesn't matter anyway. Only if you replace with a lunchbox locker do you have to worry about that. And since he's gotta replace the carrier to put in the deeper gearset, it'll get replaced anyway. So it's really not an issue in his case.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.