Getting my YJ on 35s, 37s? Not sure I can... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Getting my YJ on 35s, 37s? Not sure I can...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Getting my YJ on 35s, 37s? Not sure I can...

I'm on 33s now and would like to be on 35s, 37s would rock but I really can't see the need.

So, what's stopping me? It is a 4 cylinder, Ford 8.8 in the rear, HP30 up front, upgraded with Yukon 1541H alloy axles. Gear to 4.88.

I can do 70mph on the highway but hills are a bit of a problem. And 55mph is much harder to drive than 65mph, the gearing in 5th is just too low unless it is level. I don't need to go anymore than 70, it just too loud and unpleasant.

Front clearance isn't an issue, I already have tube fenders with plenty of travel, rear is a bit of a problem, but lifting her another inch is acceptable, or I can raise the rear tubes a bit and cut some sheet metal away.

So, it seems to me that the engine and front axle are the problem. I guess the HP30 can take the 35s but with some risk. But I can't gear past 4.88 and the tiny 4 cylinder will have trouble with the extra weight and diameter of bigger tires.

Have I pretty much covered it or am I missing something obvious?

Unread 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

There isn't that much more strain on the engine from 33x12.5r15 to 35x12.5r15.
I think the 35's with 4:88's puts you near stock ratio's.
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Ivonbenster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The D30 can handle 35's just fine, as long as you aren't abusing her the limit consistently but 37's would be a issue for the D30 and even the 8.8 I believe but correct if I am wrong. I run D30 and 8.8 rear with 4.10 gearing and 35's. So far its been pretty awesome setup for me...though the roughest trails I have done are medium difficulty.
Ivonbenster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivonbenster View Post
The D30 can handle 35's just fine, as long as you aren't abusing her the limit consistently but 37's would be a issue for the D30 and even the 8.8 I believe but correct if I am wrong. I run D30 and 8.8 rear with 4.10 gearing and 35's. So far its been pretty awesome setup for me...though the roughest trails I have done are medium difficulty.
The 8.8 is good for 37s. I have 2 buddies that run a rubi 44 up front and a stock 8.8 in the rear, one consistently runs at Moab and the other beats the piss outta hus with a v8 on slippery trails

I'd say beef up the front axle with some gussets, sleeves and good shafts and you should be good to run

Edit: above statement is for 35's 37s on a D30 isn't worth the risk

Probably sent from under my broken heep
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
There isn't that much more strain on the engine from 33x12.5r15 to 35x12.5r15.
I think the 35's with 4:88's puts you near stock ratio's.
Oh, so I'm doing better than stock? Boy, what a pig then... :- ) Thanks!
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivonbenster View Post
I don't mind "missing out" on 37s. It is just that some of the clubs I wheel with rate trail eligibility by tire size. There are trails I know I can do, and have done with other clubs, that I can't run since I'm on 33s. Go figure...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.