Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Getting music in a YJ...

1K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  MusicMaverick 
#1 ·
Hey all, I dropped an MP3 player in my YJ in february so I could have long lasting tunes while off road. Problem is now its busted, giving me an error code that I'm pretty sure means the laser is misaligned. I have a feeling this is a result of banging off road, and the stiff YJ suspension. Does anyone know of a CD style player for cars that is tough as nails so I don't spend another 200$ on something that's gonna die off roading again????

#3 ·
Sidewalkman said:
I'm using a Kenwood CD player, not sure which model and it skips when I am banging hard but usually I turn it off when I'm in the more serious stuff.
i have to second the kenwood brand. the 2011 model that was in there when i bought the jeep is very good about skipping. unless it's really rough it'll stand up to a lot while playing.

#4 ·
I used to have a sony (until it got stolen) it skipped a lot. I replaced it with a pioneer that plays mp3's and it only skips when I really whack the hell out of it.

#8 ·
I have a Clarion MP3 deck in my Jeep. Doesnt skip at all as of yet. My noly complaint is it takes about 30 seconds to load a track when i first turn it on. I also put a marine splash cover over it to help protect it from mud and such as that is how i have fried my last two decks. Got it off ebay for 140 bucks

#10 ·
I know this will sound funny, but i work for best buy and if you get a service plan on your next stereo, its like 45-50 bucks. And it stops like that, they will buy you a new one, or fix it. I have done it with mine. :-D No, i dont get credit of you go get one :-D

#12 ·
Maybe I'll look into alpine or something, Just so everyone is clear, SKIPPING doesn't bother me, the laser falling off its guide and the WHOLE PLAYER CEASING TO FUNCTION from bashing off road is what bothers me :)

#14 ·
DJG6678 said:
I have had kenwoods for years they sound great and hold up. the only prob i have had is that they skip.
or what you could do is go out and get a MP3 Hardrive.....its a lil expensive, but u get like a 20 gig hardrive, and i'm sure it doesn't skip..........since theres no laser reading a disc...and u can mount it anywhere...and run it into any deck using RCA's........it'll cost 300 and up or so...but its well worth it in the long run

#16 ·
I usually play burned CD's and after a couple times it will skip over the smallest bump in the road.......Went through this constantly.........I've decided to skip that, I got one with an AUX IN, then plugged in my MP3 player, it doesnt have a CD, it has a hard drive so it doesnt skip ever. And I can load my entire CD collection onto it. Only gripe is if you are a real sound freak and can hear the compression on MP3's it will be noticable. But I can deal with mp3's as long as they are above 160k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.