Getting more horsepower out of 2.5L - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Getting more horsepower out of 2.5L

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Reply
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
Luuca
Professional Novice
 
Luuca's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfish
I have tried and done all the mods except boring, and then I did this I went with the Mile marker Hub conversion, and it is a real improvement the little engine will cruise very well and the HP gains are very noticeable. I run 33s also please do the Speedo gear change, this will help you better Quantify any results. of course trail issues were never a problem so once locked the Jeep performs very well.
How hard was it to install the roller rockers? I looked into the street/strip ignition upgrade but didn't think it was worth the $390. After you did the distributor upgrade, did you also regap your plugs?

__________________
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
CLsquared
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Posts: 20
So basically what I'm hearing is, "If you do not wanna go all out with $$ then leave it the way it is because the 4 banger is fine." Alright noted. Im just running 31's not much sense in the work of regearing with the smaller tires. And it is my daily driver so I was just thinking that a little horsepower gain would be nice. Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I will do an electric fan swap though. What is your suggestions or what would work best for an electric fan swap? like what year/make/model would fit a 93 YJ?
CLsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Luuca
Professional Novice
 
Luuca's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLsquared View Post
So basically what I'm hearing is, "If you do not wanna go all out with $$ then leave it the way it is because the 4 banger is fine." Alright noted. Im just running 31's not much sense in the work of regearing with the smaller tires. And it is my daily driver so I was just thinking that a little horsepower gain would be nice. Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I will do an electric fan swap though. What is your suggestions or what would work best for an electric fan swap? like what year/make/model would fit a 93 YJ?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n.../#post15357186

try Keyword: Electric Fan or Taurus Fan Mod
__________________
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
lextorhazzen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfish
I have tried and done all the mods except boring, and then I did this I went with the Mile marker Hub conversion, and it is a real improvement the little engine will cruise very well and the HP gains are very noticeable. I run 33s also please do the Speedo gear change, this will help you better Quantify any results. of course trail issues were never a problem so once locked the Jeep performs very well.
So what does the hub conversion do
lextorhazzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #20
Soundy
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pitt Meadows, British Columbia
Posts: 50
My brother has a little Roots blower that he keeps bugging me to let him install in my '92. One day I'll probably do it, and let you know how it goes
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #21
CLsquared
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy
My brother has a little Roots blower that he keeps bugging me to let him install in my '92. One day I'll probably do it, and let you know how it goes
Yeah let me know how that goes I've heard some people doin them but then realizing they needed to almost completely rebuild the motor just to compensate for the extra power the supercharger puts forth so I'd like to know how that goes
CLsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #22
Soundy
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pitt Meadows, British Columbia
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLsquared View Post
Yeah let me know how that goes I've heard some people doin them but then realizing they needed to almost completely rebuild the motor just to compensate for the extra power the supercharger puts forth so I'd like to know how that goes
Yeah, that's the main thing holding me back - not entirely confident on the overall condition of this motor. Been more concerned so far with working the bugs out of the clutch, putting in the new brakes, etc., than doing compression and leakdown tests and so forth (although I really SHOULD pay more attention to the motor, as the gas mileage really sucks right now... I mean, I know it's not supposed to be great in the first place, but it's a lot worse than it should be).

He's talking only about 4-5psi of boost, thing should mount cleanly where the A/C would go... He's a Porsche mechanic that gets cars (mostly 928s) shipped to him from around the world for performance mods and racing rebuilds, so I'm not worried about him not knowing what he's doing...
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
CLsquared
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy

Yeah, that's the main thing holding me back - not entirely confident on the overall condition of this motor. Been more concerned so far with working the bugs out of the clutch, putting in the new brakes, etc., than doing compression and leakdown tests and so forth (although I really SHOULD pay more attention to the motor, as the gas mileage really sucks right now... I mean, I know it's not supposed to be great in the first place, but it's a lot worse than it should be).

He's talking only about 4-5psi of boost, thing should mount cleanly where the A/C would go... He's a Porsche mechanic that gets cars (mostly 928s) shipped to him from around the world for performance mods and racing rebuilds, so I'm not worried about him not knowing what he's doing...
Yeah there is a lot of displacement needed for forced induction on jeeps. Almost an entire engine rebuild (crank, pistons etc) and new rear ends. If only it was as simple as bolt on and giver her hell. But it never is
CLsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #24
flcracker
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
My brother has a little Roots blower that he keeps bugging me to let him install in my '92. One day I'll probably do it, and let you know how it goes
Ahhh, the old "lets bolt on this old blower" routine.... my dad reminisces about doing stuff like that in his mis-spent youth... the time they slapped a blower on a 283 with Power Pack heads. It outran everything in the county for two weeks then it blew the tops out of 6 pistons..... good times....
__________________
Not the sharpest bulb in the box....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Blackfish
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ash NC
Posts: 204
it stops everything from turning from the transfer case forward, some will tell you this does nothing for gains, it is and will produce the most notable difference in terms of usable horsepower, I wish that anyone with a 4 cylinder could come drive mine and compare to thiers. i think they would be amazed. I constantly catch myself having to watch my speed as it will cruise effortlessly at 70 mph not that you would want to do that with a lifted jeep. i also wheel my jeep, if you have a locker up front it will also reduce the wear and tear on the drive shaft components. whats funny is i installed this to stop all the forward drive shaft vibrations, what i got was a very smooth riding jeep with a definite increase in horsepower. It is my belief that the 4 cylinder is so anemic in terms of usable HP to weight that stopping all those forward components from spinning at the hubs decreases any dampening load on the engine. Either way Best 1000.00 I have spent yet.
__________________
My boss made the comment that "I bet you missed me over the holiday break",my response was "yes your right I did, but my aim is getting better"
Blackfish is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.