Getting more horsepower out of 2.5L - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Getting more horsepower out of 2.5L

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfish
I have tried and done all the mods except boring, and then I did this I went with the Mile marker Hub conversion, and it is a real improvement the little engine will cruise very well and the HP gains are very noticeable. I run 33s also please do the Speedo gear change, this will help you better Quantify any results. of course trail issues were never a problem so once locked the Jeep performs very well.
How hard was it to install the roller rockers? I looked into the street/strip ignition upgrade but didn't think it was worth the $390. After you did the distributor upgrade, did you also regap your plugs?

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
CLsquared
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So basically what I'm hearing is, "If you do not wanna go all out with $$ then leave it the way it is because the 4 banger is fine." Alright noted. Im just running 31's not much sense in the work of regearing with the smaller tires. And it is my daily driver so I was just thinking that a little horsepower gain would be nice. Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I will do an electric fan swap though. What is your suggestions or what would work best for an electric fan swap? like what year/make/model would fit a 93 YJ?
CLsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLsquared View Post
So basically what I'm hearing is, "If you do not wanna go all out with $$ then leave it the way it is because the 4 banger is fine." Alright noted. Im just running 31's not much sense in the work of regearing with the smaller tires. And it is my daily driver so I was just thinking that a little horsepower gain would be nice. Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I will do an electric fan swap though. What is your suggestions or what would work best for an electric fan swap? like what year/make/model would fit a 93 YJ?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n.../#post15357186

try Keyword: Electric Fan or Taurus Fan Mod
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
lextorhazzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfish
I have tried and done all the mods except boring, and then I did this I went with the Mile marker Hub conversion, and it is a real improvement the little engine will cruise very well and the HP gains are very noticeable. I run 33s also please do the Speedo gear change, this will help you better Quantify any results. of course trail issues were never a problem so once locked the Jeep performs very well.
So what does the hub conversion do
lextorhazzen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
Soundy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My brother has a little Roots blower that he keeps bugging me to let him install in my '92. One day I'll probably do it, and let you know how it goes
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #21
CLsquared
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy
My brother has a little Roots blower that he keeps bugging me to let him install in my '92. One day I'll probably do it, and let you know how it goes
Yeah let me know how that goes I've heard some people doin them but then realizing they needed to almost completely rebuild the motor just to compensate for the extra power the supercharger puts forth so I'd like to know how that goes
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #22
Soundy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLsquared View Post
Yeah let me know how that goes I've heard some people doin them but then realizing they needed to almost completely rebuild the motor just to compensate for the extra power the supercharger puts forth so I'd like to know how that goes
Yeah, that's the main thing holding me back - not entirely confident on the overall condition of this motor. Been more concerned so far with working the bugs out of the clutch, putting in the new brakes, etc., than doing compression and leakdown tests and so forth (although I really SHOULD pay more attention to the motor, as the gas mileage really sucks right now... I mean, I know it's not supposed to be great in the first place, but it's a lot worse than it should be).

He's talking only about 4-5psi of boost, thing should mount cleanly where the A/C would go... He's a Porsche mechanic that gets cars (mostly 928s) shipped to him from around the world for performance mods and racing rebuilds, so I'm not worried about him not knowing what he's doing...
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
CLsquared
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy

Yeah, that's the main thing holding me back - not entirely confident on the overall condition of this motor. Been more concerned so far with working the bugs out of the clutch, putting in the new brakes, etc., than doing compression and leakdown tests and so forth (although I really SHOULD pay more attention to the motor, as the gas mileage really sucks right now... I mean, I know it's not supposed to be great in the first place, but it's a lot worse than it should be).

He's talking only about 4-5psi of boost, thing should mount cleanly where the A/C would go... He's a Porsche mechanic that gets cars (mostly 928s) shipped to him from around the world for performance mods and racing rebuilds, so I'm not worried about him not knowing what he's doing...
Yeah there is a lot of displacement needed for forced induction on jeeps. Almost an entire engine rebuild (crank, pistons etc) and new rear ends. If only it was as simple as bolt on and giver her hell. But it never is
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Ahhh, the old "lets bolt on this old blower" routine.... my dad reminisces about doing stuff like that in his mis-spent youth... the time they slapped a blower on a 283 with Power Pack heads. It outran everything in the county for two weeks then it blew the tops out of 6 pistons..... good times....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #25
Blackfish
1995 YJ Wrangler 

it stops everything from turning from the transfer case forward, some will tell you this does nothing for gains, it is and will produce the most notable difference in terms of usable horsepower, I wish that anyone with a 4 cylinder could come drive mine and compare to thiers. i think they would be amazed. I constantly catch myself having to watch my speed as it will cruise effortlessly at 70 mph not that you would want to do that with a lifted jeep. i also wheel my jeep, if you have a locker up front it will also reduce the wear and tear on the drive shaft components. whats funny is i installed this to stop all the forward drive shaft vibrations, what i got was a very smooth riding jeep with a definite increase in horsepower. It is my belief that the 4 cylinder is so anemic in terms of usable HP to weight that stopping all those forward components from spinning at the hubs decreases any dampening load on the engine. Either way Best 1000.00 I have spent yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.