Getting a 3.5inch BDS kit whatelse? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Getting a 3.5inch BDS kit whatelse?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
jagarcia82
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Getting a 3.5inch BDS kit whatelse?

Hey guys, I have a 87 YJ with a 4.2, has a weber carb 32/36 and a crt hei dist.

The time has come that I have enough money for my bds kit and 5/8 more shackles. What else do I need? I'm affraid to put it all on then require something else that I dont know about and be half way through a project and not have the funds. Is there anything you guys can think of that I might need that the kit does not supply?

I'm going to be running 33x12.5's, I know I should regear later on but for now Im not considering. Plan on getting a new stab bar.

Thanks Joey!!

jagarcia82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS
Product Alerts:
  • The use of extended shackles is recommended to clear the military wraps on the springs.
  • May require driveshaft lengthening if equipped with 13"( u-joint to u-joint) driveshaft.
  • May require larger diameter driveshaft if equipped with a 41-1/2" front driveshaft.
  • If you have a heavy Jeep (ie. Hard top with full size spare) you will want to run the front springs on both the front and rear. This selection can be made in the customize section before checking out.
The shackles are probably the only thing, although there are guys that run the stock shackles with no issue.

Might also look into a set of extended brake lines, not "needed" but wouldn't be a bad investment later on.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
jagarcia82
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Okay thanks! Any specific brand or type of brake line extensions?
Unread 04-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

check out rough country, fair prices and good cs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used the Russell ones, but I've seen the RC ones and they look like good quality and they've got them at decent prices.
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
joshbaker92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Russell ones are the only ones i would use. I am also running the bds 3.5" kit. It is a great kit.
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
baltimorebiker
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i just did the BDS same as you on a 95 i used the BDS 1 inch drop shackles and i ordered new shackle bushings they are seperate . I would also get new shackle bolts they tend to be vulcanized and do not want to come out with out cutting the ends off. numerous cans of PB and a torch and a impact gun will help . feel free to contact me with any specific questions as i just went thru the entire ordeal
thanks
chuck
baltimorebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your kit will probably come with the BL extension for the rear. You can re-engineer the mounts on the front lines to work but new ones are a great idea. I went with the crown 5 layers kevlar kryptonite uunobtanium cores or whatever they are. they have been great. I have some steel 8 deg steel shims laying around if you end up needing them. I have no use for them but before i installed the 9", they helped me get by with a mml and no TC drop. As for gearing, just keep your eyes out for a cheap set of axles out of a 4 banger yj and that will set you up with 4.10s on a budget. Other than that, good luck and have fun! Pneumatic tools are your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS
Product Alerts:

The use of extended shackles is recommended to clear the military wraps on the springs.
The shackles are probably the only thing, although there are guys that run the stock shackles with no issue.

Might also look into a set of extended brake lines, not "needed" but wouldn't be a bad investment later on.
or...

you can simply remove said intrusion.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Matt_vs_YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With over 4" of lift you're definitely gonna need an SYE kit and CV driveshaft...

it's only another $400 or so

Edit: take a good look at your transfer case. If you have the NP207, then you may need to find a NP231 to do the SYE.

If you're in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia check out the Middle Peninsula Jeep Association
Matt_vs_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Mr YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_vs_YJ View Post
With over 4" of lift you're definitely gonna need an SYE kit and CV driveshaft...

it's only another $400 or so

Edit: take a good look at your transfer case. If you have the NP207, then you may need to find a NP231 to do the SYE.
He MIGHT be he doesn't DEFINITELY need it. If you are planning any kind of engine / trans change in the future, i'd hold off and see if you can live without it first. I did the same BDS with the More boomerang shackles and get by just fine with the trans drop.

@RockWoRM that's exactly what I did, quick pass with the grinder, no more fitment issues. Nice clean underside on your Jeep too.
92 YJ 2.5L 5sp manual trans. 4" lift with 33 X 12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja claws.
Rockhard cage, and SBC swap. Work in Progress
Mr YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
jagarcia82
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I plan on getting the more shackles, just looking at brake lines now. I havnt had much time to look them up but will def check out the brands you guys mentioned. Regearing or new axels will be in the future, I have to take baby steps until I have senority at UPS to get full time. Then I can really get my hands dirty on the heep!
Unread 04-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

BTW, Summit Racing offers those Russell lines for a good price. I got mine from 4WD and found the Summit ones later, I think they're within $10 or so in price.
Unread 04-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Matt_vs_YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr YJ View Post
He MIGHT be he doesn't DEFINITELY need it. If you are planning any kind of engine / trans change in the future, i'd hold off and see if you can live without it first. I did the same BDS with the More boomerang shackles and get by just fine with the trans drop.
You're very lucky then.

I know 4 people that have installed the BDS 3.5" and all have needed a SYE and CV shaft. In all cases the springs netted over 4" of lift.

I would certainly include an SYE it in the budget. Nothing worse than spending all your money on the lift only to find out that you need more mods to make it drivable.

If you're in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia check out the Middle Peninsula Jeep Association
Matt_vs_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #15
Mr YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_vs_YJ View Post
You're very lucky then.

I know 4 people that have installed the BDS 3.5" and all have needed a SYE and CV shaft. In all cases the springs netted over 4" of lift.

I would certainly include an SYE it in the budget. Nothing worse than spending all your money on the lift only to find out that you need more mods to make it drivable.
I was willing to take the chance. I have a 4 banger with D35 rear and I have a V8 swap and 8.8 rear planned for the future. I can't decide if I want to shell out for an atlas which is why I waited. As it turns out it wasn't a problem for me. I probably won't get an atlas after all, so most probably will get the SYE. It is cheap insurance after all.
92 YJ 2.5L 5sp manual trans. 4" lift with 33 X 12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja claws.
Rockhard cage, and SBC swap. Work in Progress
Mr YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.