gettin my jeep "off-road ready"..few questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > gettin my jeep "off-road ready"..few questions

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 02-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
chriscisme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

gettin my jeep "off-road ready"..few questions

so ive been offroading, ive been down some trails, nothing too extreme..right now my yj is basically stock. im lookin to make it more capable off road, i was thinking some mickey thompson 31's and some kind of lift (no body lifts) and i was wondering what you guys thoght i should do to "hook-it-up"

im not trying to go too extreme, this is still my daily driver, but if i see a trail...im goin down it...and i just wanna make sure i dont run into any trouble.

what the diffrence between a shackle lift and a suspension lift, the shackle lift seems to be more cost effective but the suspension lift seems like it would do a better job.

somebody help me out

EDIT: has anyone had anylick with these..http://www.quadratec.com/products/16110_108.htm

Last edited by chriscisme; 02-17-2008 at 10:11 PM..
chriscisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Nothing wrong with a 1" body lift, besides, if you want to maximize under vehicle clearance by adding a belly up skid plate, it's pretty much required.

Anyway, if you want a daily driver and decent trail machine, I would suggest a 2.5" suspension lift, 5/8 or 1" boomerang style shackles, and 32's. Ditch your track bars, add a set of front sway bar quick disconnects and you should have no problem stretching her legs out on the trail.

When you decide you want some more traction, you can install either a selectable or 'lunchbox' locker up front (such as an Aussie), either style of locker will be perfect for a daily driver since they are invisible in 2WD.
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
JBelmont

A Bit more agressive

Though not a daily driver, my YJ picked up a minor 4" rough country kit with 4.53 gearing, ARB lockers and is still very streetable, while a 1" body lift would be neccessary to run 35" tires, I can run 33's w/o rub (except for the factory rubber fenders, which isnt too bad either) without any further Mods - a few mods down the road include a 1-2 Inch body lift, I do eventually want to run 35's but only 7K in I think I'm doing well... All Jeeps are bumpy/rolly due to the short wheelbase but I think a minor lift could help - I will say my rough country has only 5K milkes and I have noticed some sag in it already...

My 2c

Jeff
www.oddstops.com
JBelmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
JBelmont

BTW a shackle lift is where the shackles are longer versus a suspension lift where the springs have more of a bend to them - taller shackles can cause a bit of approach angle issues as they dont make the clearance higher, they just lift the frame up - I tagged a few rocks with the 2" shackles my Jeep came with - I tossed them for some teraflex revolvers...
JBelmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Randy.YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

get an aussie in the front
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
chriscisme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for all you guys's input, any other ideas?? as a strapped college student wanting big tires and a 2" suspension lift and a 1" shackle lift is there anyway to get that cheap without going AAL??, i really want a suspension lift and muddy tires for when my jeep wants to play, but dont really have too much money (living paycheck to paycheck basically)

thanks everybody
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
xxxflhrci

I have everything that you don't want. However, it has worked well for me.

Ten years ago, I put on a 2" body lift and add-a-leafs to clear my 32's. It has worked well for me. The ride was kind of rough, until I put a tire carrier on the rear and a winch on the front. The extra weight smoothed things out. Matter of fact, I drove it over 150 miles on the interstate yesterday.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t=jojeep-1.jpg
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
That1guy
2007 WK 

I would do a 1" body lift of the 1" shackle lift. I would try to go full springs if doing a lift. If the springs are shot on the jeep already the new leafs will sag in a short time. But get a 2-3 inch lift and some 31"s and have fun.

Oh and not to preach, but just because you see a trail doesnt mean you can go down it.
Unread 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
SonofSam02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would also look into at least a oil pan skid plate.
bigger tires wont get you anywhere if you crack your oil pan open
SonofSam02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
sam.b.
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSam02 View Post
I would also look into at least a oil pan skid plate.
bigger tires wont get you anywhere if you crack your oil pan open
^^ really sucks
but if i were to start from stock i would get a decent 2.5" suspension lift and some 31"s and call it quits till you feel the need or want to go bigger also some boomerang shackles if desired, and armor such as rocker guards and decent skids (oil and engine)
then wheel it till your out of college and go all out with 4-link front/rear with rockwells and 54" boggers <<
www.kifourwheelers.com << Louisville Ky. based 4x4 club
sam.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
1968charger666
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Get another buddy with a jeep, tow strap, and a camera. Learn how to be good/better spotters for each other and take plenty of pics to show us. Save your money for the parts you will probably be breaking and for the warm food after wheelin.
-1991 YJ, 2.5L I-6, AX-5, NP231, SYE, Terralow 4:1, D30 & D35 w/ 4.88's & lockers, all w/warn lockout hubs, Procomp coil overs, 9" lift total, 35X15.5R15 Siped Super Swampers, Warn Bumpers, brush guard, Belly and Fuel tank skid plate, Herc'd tub, Dents and scratches
1968charger666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Rush1184
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968charger666 View Post
Get another buddy with a jeep, tow strap, and a camera. Learn how to be good/better spotters for each other and take plenty of pics to show us. Save your money for the parts you will probably be breaking and for the warm food after wheelin.
x2 have a little fun with it stock for a while, get a strap and someone to go with, and see what is holding you back, and what you feel you need out of your set up. My plans have changed in the 6 months I have had my jeep, and I now want to go in a slightly different direction than I originally thought, and am glad I waited. Also, running it stock will teach you how to pick good lines and let you learn exactly what your vehicle is capable of. Although I may need to take a couple tries to get up certain obsticals, I know I am having more fun working my way up and over than the guy on 33"+ just driving through it.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Green_Jeep_Club"][I]New Green Jeep Club[/I] - Member #2[/URL]
1993 YJ Green/Spice - 6cyl 4.0L AX-15
2x KC Daylighters on windshield hinges, front hooks, rear shackle, 20' strap, shovel, saw, tools, air compressor, etc.
--------
FOR SALE:
- Set of 4 used 33x14.5r15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted HP Tires on Alloy Rims (5 on 5.5 bolt pattern).
- 2x white 6" KC Stone Guards (NEW)
(PM me if interested)
Rush1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
richharr
1993 YJ Wrangler 

everyone is different, so a lot of people here will tell you what works for them. You have to decide what will work for you.

Here is my advice, take it however you may.

0 shackle lift. you can always add it if you really want it, but most people will tell you to stay away from anything over an inch so you'll end up paying $100 for an inch that you may learn to hate.

1 inch bl. your stock mount are probably shot and it will add to a smoother ride. when you feel like going belly up, like someone mentioned, it will be one less thing.

trim your flares or buy tj flares. the truth is, articulating can be more important than having 6" of lift (see rock buggies) and having the space to do so is important.

sway bar disconnects. you can make your own with a little elbow grease. back to articulation

we're still on stock suspension and anywhere between $100-$250 depending how you shop.

its been mentioned in this thread already and I agree, 2.5" suspension lift. you wont need a t-case drop or sye and the ride should be much smoother than a heavily arched 4" lift. pretty easy to install and cheap

33s will fit on the set up I have covered. for tires, IMHO I would suggest rethreads (at or mt).

now all that stuff is moot if you have no way of getting out of the trail, and safely

fire ext
tow strap
jack
gloves
first aid
tools

I tell everyone, RECOVERY, RECOVERY, RECOVERY. I also use it for work (medicine) AIRWAY, AIRWAY, AIRWAY.
if you say or type something three times in capitals, people know its serious.
richharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

^^^
to add to what he said...
some inexpensive tow hooks for the front...

couple more points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscisme View Post
..im goin down it...and i just wanna make sure i dont run into any trouble.
good tires are a big plus... you've already got that down... but without any recovery gear, getting stuck is not that hard. My own rule of thumb. "try not to go down something. always go up something. if U can't go up it, then its very likely U may not be able to get back up it" Learn what your Jeep can and can't do in its stock form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscisme View Post
what the diffrence between a shackle lift and a suspension lift
getting advice here is fine, and guys are happy to help, but U need to educate yourself to your vehicle. read the FAQ and as many other threads as possible. learn what is what. even a small amount of knowlege and wrench skills can help when your out on the trail.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
Mrwazmo
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just my 2 cents as a college student as well. Remember that when you go up and out to play money will start to flow faster than a Friday night beer. Watch your gas milage, watch breaking things, watch everything involved with it. I am lucky enough to have another car to jump in when the Jeep decides to break, but I have noticed how my pay check is less and less since I started to play. So if you are living paycheck to paycheck stick with stock or a little body lift for larger tyres.
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R
Mrwazmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.